Honored Contributor

Re: Perennials in pots over the winter....

I've found in our clay soils, that coral bells or Heuchera do not like the continuous moisture in the winter to their root systems. So if you intend to keep in the pot, put in the unheated garage and do not overwater them during the winter. If you want to plant them in the ground, you can either 'heel them' or dig a hole and plant the entire pot into the ground and then come spring dig it up and reuse as a container plant OR transplant directly into the ground. The only caveat I would say is if you get a lot of snowfall and it stays on the ground for a lo

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I've found in our clay soils, that coral bells or Heuchera do not like the continuous moisture in the winter to their root systems. So if you intend to keep in the pot, put in the unheated garage and do not overwater them during the winter. If you want to plant them in the ground, you can either 'heel them' or dig a hole and plant the entire pot into the ground and then come spring dig it up and reuse as a container plant OR transplant directly into the ground. The only caveat I would say is if you get a lot of snowfall and it stays on the ground for a lo

Thank you very much.  I wondered if too much moisture in the winter might be bad for them.  I would put them in the ground but I can't decide where to put them.  I have too  many full sun areas and not enough afternoon shade areas.   I love how knowledgeable you are!

Honored Contributor

For some reason, my last sentence didn't go through??

The only caveat I would say is if you get a lot of snowfall and it stays on the ground for a long time, it may cause the roots to rot.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

For some reason, my last sentence didn't go through??

The only caveat I would say is if you get a lot of snowfall and it stays on the ground for a long time, it may cause the roots to rot.

LOL.  That's what I thought you were trying to say.  We are just as apt to get rain in the winter as snow, so your advice is right on.