Respected Contributor

I bought what they call a patio tomato plant, it's about 9" tall and has some tomatoes already on it.  There's also a small type "cage" but my question is, should I replant this in a larger pot?

Esteemed Contributor
Without seeing the plant or reading the tag, I'd say 'yes', replant with fresh soil in a larger pot.
Honored Contributor

I think I'd also pinch the little tomatoes off to give the root system a better chance of developing.  A plant 9" high is too small to support the fruit.  At this point you want the strength of the plant to go to developing roots, not tomatoes.  They'll come soon enough. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I've done those.  I am a gardener.  Sometimes I am too lazy to up-pot things like that - they will do fine, but be aware that you may have to water numerous times a day in the high heat of Summer.

Fertilize regularly, also.  I like MiracleGro for tomatoes (also excellent for geraniums) and fish/seaweed emulsion, used alternately (or whichever I choose that day).

The little cage won't be enough to support the vine as it grows, so I like to find a deck rail or something like that to drape it over, or tie it to.

Of course, if you want to repot, go ahead.  Put a bigger cage around it, but hurry.  It becomes difficult to maneuver all that stuff as the plant grows.

Happy tomatoes!🍅

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm not going to re-pot mine although it probably is a good idea.

Honored Contributor

I would repot to a larger pot and I use for my in the ground ones a tomato spiral. Internet photo below:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom@AuntG@Sweetbay magnolia@Kachina624@x Hedge

Thank You!

@JustJazzmom  where do you find those tomato spirals?

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of a link to another retailer

Honored Contributor

Mine aren't flowering yet.......

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I would repot to a larger pot and I use for my in the ground ones a tomato spiral. Internet photo below:

@JustJazzmom  Do you pinch off leaves?  I hardly see any.