Respected Contributor

Re: Part 2, Garden Jun 15/16

Oh my...just beautiful and tranquil.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123, no frost here last night thank heavens.  When I got up at 6 this morning, it was 7C.  It freezes at 0 if you are not familiar with Celcius or metric.  I didn't see the news at supper tonight but it was warmer today (around 19 C or around 69F) so I am not going to cover things tonight.  Hopefully we are done with that nonsense.  It is supposed to significantly warm up this weekend, especially Sunday.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Thanks for the update and the great news of being frost free. I am very happy that the temps are warming and some nice wearher ahead. Hope to chat again soon. Take care LM 🌹

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom  I cannot imagine the amount of back-breaking work involved to keep your grounds so pristine. And they are pristine. You should be commended on that.

I also admire the placement of the sculpture work intermingled among your plantings. You have some nice pieces. I especially like the woman standing by the asphalt driveway.

How tall is the stand of Solomon's Seal? How old is it? It is such a pretty plant, and inserting Lily of the Valley beneath it was a good choice, too. Solomon was a favorite of mine at our former house, around a water feature.  In spite of whining about the work involved in our present gardens, I am considering adding some of it here.

Thank you for sharing your lovely photos. I will be sure to click on any future posts from you that bear titles mentioning garden photography.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Esteemed Contributor

@IamMrsG, the Solomon's Seal is 7 or 8 years old.  It reminds of my family home too, as do the lilies of the valley.  I have some favorites and these two are among them!  I would say that the Solomon's Seal is about 4.5 to 5' tall.    LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom.  Absolutely beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful and peaceful and shady.  I am so ready to come sit in your backyard after spending my days gardening in our very hot SC sun!  Your secret to prevent the deer from eating your hostas? 

Esteemed Contributor

@CJC, thanks for the nice words.  I love SC!  One of the things I noticed about Hilton Head was the huge number of deer.  I couldn't believe it.  We rented a house on a golf course and they were everywhere.  We left for home very early in the morning and I was terrified we would hit one.

Our Lab keeps the property free of deer and rabbits for the most part.  Every time we leave for vacation, my neighbors tell me the deer arrive like clockwork.  They are after the apples on DH's trees so they generally leave the garden alone.

The rabbits did a bit of damage this year so I put small fences around some plants.  I don't imagine that would be much of a deterrent if they really wanted to get at the plants but it made me feel better!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I put up rabbit fencing in my small veggie garden today. I bought another package of landscape pins to hold the fencing down further in spots. Four twistees hold the upper corners together. 

I even chased the baby rabbit out of the veggie garden before I began the project. Red flowered plant in background is 'Double Knockout' rose.

Wabbit fencing in place:

Wabbit Fencing!!.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom, what a great job!  That is a much better job than mine.  I imagine rabbits on their hind legs can be pretty tall.  This looks like it will be effective.  LM

PS, love the roses!