Respected Contributor

Is there any way to store fresh an overabundance of these 2 spices?  I sort of remember someone freezing the leaves in ice cubes, but that may have been a dream.

Super Contributor

coffeedrinker

I grow an abundance of basil and parsley,  and I just bring it in, rinse it off, dry it, then I chiffinod the basil, pick the leaves off the parsley, and suck it in my food saver or put it in a container, and throw it in the freezer. It doesn't lose flavor at all and it is easy to get out just the amount you want. I also take some of the basil and chop it up with some olive oil and garlic.I freeze this as well.  If I want to make pesto, I thaw it out and add pine nuts and parmesean . I tried them both in ice cubes, but for me it seemed like it watered the taste of them. Hope this helps you out.

Regular Contributor

I also freeze my parsley and basil.  The parsley I put in freezer bags and they do well.  The basil is more perishable--I do cut it up and put in ice cube trays and then pop the cubes in bags--in that it does turn dark when it freezes then thaws.  But I use it in stews, soups, sauces so it doesn't matter.  i also dry both, probably more so than freezing.  I either hang up the plants or just pick stems/leaves and dry in the sun or very, very low oven then crumble up the dry leaves.  I store the herbs in clean, dry half-pint canning jars with lids and screw bands. I have some from 2 years ago and they are still fresh.

Honored Contributor

I like the idea of putting in oven,what do you set temp at? The air drying method always bothers me because of dust and bugs in the air,can you do peppermint,and thyme in oven?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Regular Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I like the idea of putting in oven,what do you set temp at? The air drying method always bothers me because of dust and bugs in the air,can you do peppermint,and thyme in oven?

I put herbs on a cookie sheet and turn oven to about 150, leave door open slightly, for several hours or until they are dry.  I stir them up once in a while to make sure all are dry. You could use a dehydrator also.

When drying in the sun I cover with one of those screen covers you can buy to cover dishes.  I have several in different sizes.

Honored Contributor

I make pesto with the basil; and did you know that you can dry herbs in the microwave? They stay green and not that ugly greyish color and taste fresh too. Google that for info. I've done parsely, chives, sage, tarragon , thyme. Works very well

Honored Contributor

@coffee drinker wrote:

Is there any way to store fresh an overabundance of these 2 spices?  I sort of remember someone freezing the leaves in ice cubes, but that may have been a dream.

@coffee drinker  I puree basil leaves and add extra virgin olive oil, then freeze in little containers, or baggies, for use in sauces, soups, etc.  I would assume the same could be done with parsley.

Respected Contributor

Thank you Poppinfresh.  I took your advise and the 2 herbs are resting comfortably in the freezer just waiting to do their thing.  Cannot wait to use them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Parsley and Basil

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Mousiegirl, garden gal and wagirl for taking the time to reply. 

Edited to thank all.

Respected Contributor

I either wash, let air dry, then put in the freezer, or I oven dry at a really low temp, & store in airtight jars. 

The freezer is SO easy for soups, stews, & sauces. You just take some out of the freezer, crumble, & add. It stays fresh, & tastes so good!