Respected Contributor

Re: PICS OF MY BIRD STATIONS...

@Lilysmom ...I agree with setting up where I can see them.  It's kind of funny, because I strategically pick a spot, then run inside and sit in my usual place where I can see out of my back sliders to my pastures, then run back out to set the exact spot.  It's my birdeye view, lol.  These are set up around my lanai, off my back sliders...I can see and enjoy everything.   My special time is around 6_8 am , then late afternoon.    I've set up the other station in my front driveway,  with the glass bird bath...theres Bluejays house mounted on the Palm tree.  I've posted pics of that few months ago.   Hope you are doing well,  thankyou for your reply!

Frequent Contributor

What a nice setup you have with such a variety of feeders!  I only have one set up with a baffle because I have such troubles with squirrels.  I wouldn't mind sharing with them if they didn't clean out the whole feeder in just a few minutes.....little too greedy.  I have good luck with the baffle because it is pushed up next to my box feeder and hopper, but my poor friend has not had good luck with the baffle.  Her feeding setup is too low to the ground and the squirrels just jump on top of the baffle and hoist themselves up on the metal bars....and then they dine away.

Here is my set-up.   Not real decorative but it works well. 

21616352_10210549277467562_5270963804834785082_n.jpg

Janet in Georgia
Frequent Contributor

Does my heart good to take care of the birds. They in return touch my spirit with much needed peace.

Trusted Contributor

@moxie11  My father-in-law  always had multiple bird feeders, and my husband would laugh and tell me his dad was trying to get into Heaven by  feeding the birds, because his dad wasn't an overly religious man.  I love feeding them also it gives me pleasure to help out the hungry birds during the cold winter.

Honored Contributor

I hope where it is cold,everty one is feeding them,i sure am ,going through 25 pd.bags of black sunflower seeds ,like crazy, peanuts, suet , some thistle.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I'm still dealing with the over abundance of cowbirds. 

I've tried switching out seeds, and scaring them off.

I wrote into Audubon Society and Wild Birds unlimited...looks like I have to stop their food source.  So sadly I had to take down all but 2 feeders.  I left up my cylinder feeder as Audubon said cowbirds dont like it...well, they do like mine.  Will leave it for now, because the Finches are loving it.   I'll try about a week without the feeders, or until I dont see the cowbirds around.

Feel bad, because the cardinals are coming, looking for the usual set up, but they are using the cylinder feeder, so I'm happy with that.  

Remember we were all talking about waiting for birds to return??   So now they're here, and look what happened 🙁.   Also, anyone dealing with fat Doves eating everything...they even eat safflower, and mealworms...sheesh!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with cowbirds @Dazlin .  I just wanted to say that I absolutely love the mourning doves.  A lot of people like them.

If you get the squirrel buster plus feeder like I have, the openings close when the heavy birds get on them.  Cowbirds can't eat that seed.  I've posted a picture of it before in this thread I believe.  Amazon sells it.  It's expensive, but you probably are saving money in the long run by not wasting so much seed on the cowbirds and squirrels.

Edited to say:  It's the Brome Squirrel Buster Plus.  It wasn't this thread that I posted the picture, so here it is.

937B0DEE-57FC-497A-93D3-1DD6386AAFF6.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau