Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Flatbush , aren’t they lovely?  My father was quite a gardener and he had them all over the backyard.  Many years later, they live on at my brother’s cottage.  Isn’t that nice?

I heard that ants were necessary to open the flowers but I am not sure if that is just an old wives’s tale,

There is a new plant called a fern peonies.  They are simply gorgeous and on my list.  LM

5732F1DB-9E5B-4203-8AD2-B77DDF27399D.jpeg

They are beautiful. How nice that your brother was able to grow them in his own Garden> I bet seeing them brings some lovely memories of your Dad.

Esteemed Contributor

My neighbors have some beautiful peonies.  I love them too.  I've see them grown successfully in South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama, so you may be able to grow some @Flatbush.  

Honored Contributor

I have a huge peony bush on the side of my house which I ignore. And yet, it's magnificent. The flowers are ALWAYS covered in ants. I mean...covered. This is one of the reasons I ignore it and because it's out of sight due to it's location. I've spoken with enough gardeners/landscapers and other than buying a frame so it can stand up taller, the ants are part of having one. There is some symbiotic relationship they have so don't spray it/don't do anything.

So I just leave it alone.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom  Those Fern Peonies are so cool, I'm going to check them out, thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: PEONIES, I love them...

[ Edited ]

Two things: ants aren’t needed to pollinate or help open the buds. That is an old wives’ tale. They are attracted to the exuded nectar. 

Those fernleaf peonies are more of a rock garden- woodland garden geared peony.

This website sells them & they ship in the fall. You can request a catalog by mail too. 

http://www.songsparrow.com/catalog/plantlist.cfm?type=ROCK,&startrow=1&subtype=all

I love this peony which is a cross between a tree peony & a herbaceous peony. Leave at least 4’ of space for it in full sun.

Image may contain: plant, flower, nature and outdoor

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom 

Thanks.  I appreciate an expert opinion to support my nonexpert opinion about those ants!

Honored Contributor

I have pink ones and white ones; got them from my mom and MIL over 20 years ago.   They were beautiful this year.   Always covered in ants, so I never cut bouquets for inside the house.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop 

I have a friend whose peonies also have ants.  She picks them and leaves them on the patio in a bucket of water overnight.  She says the ants drown.  

Honored Contributor

If you cut them & leave them on a table, the ants crawl off.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼