Respected Contributor

I bought the most beautiful peonies from Trader Joe's. The bouquet had 4 peonies in bloom and the two buds are starting to bloom. They are also fragrant. Wish I could grow them, but they need a cold winter.  At least that is my understanding.

Honored Contributor

Many, many, many years ago, my parents grew them in their back yard.  I was never very fond of them because they always seem to have a few ants embedded in the blossom.  But I know, many love them.  Trader Joe's has awesome flowers all the time!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I have had them growing in my backyard for years.  I have a large bouquet of pink ones in my living room.  I love the smell.  They do attract ants but I must not have ants in my backyard because mine have never had ants.  

Honored Contributor

I have three bushes..a white, light pink and fuchsia.  They are so beautiful, but they are done blooming around here.  They always bloom in late May around Memorial Day. 

I wish they were ever blooming  plants so I could enjoy the flowers longer.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush , aren’t they lovely?  My father was quite a gardener and he had them all over the backyard.  Many years later, they live on at my brother’s cottage.  Isn’t that nice?

I heard that ants were necessary to open the flowers but I am not sure if that is just an old wives’s tale,

There is a new plant called a fern peonies.  They are simply gorgeous and on my list.  LM

5732F1DB-9E5B-4203-8AD2-B77DDF27399D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I love any plant with vibrant flowers.

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I have had them growing in my backyard for years.  I have a large bouquet of pink ones in my living room.  I love the smell.  They do attract ants but I must not have ants in my backyard because mine have never had ants.  

I have 8 plants, have always had them 70 years, they don't attract ants, if they didn't have ants, the buds would not open up. That's why most people don't have them in their house, better enjoyed in the yard.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Flatbush , aren’t they lovely?  My father was quite a gardener and he had them all over the backyard.  Many years later, they live on at my brother’s cottage.  Isn’t that nice?

I heard that ants were necessary to open the flowers but I am not sure if that is just an old wives’s tale,

There is a new plant called a fern peonies.  They are simply gorgeous and on my list.  LM

5732F1DB-9E5B-4203-8AD2-B77DDF27399D.jpeg

Never heard of these, they are absolutely gorgeous. Going to have to look them up. Your right, ants open the buds  up.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I have 8 plants, have always had them 70 years, they don't attract ants, if they didn't have ants, the buds would not open up. That's why most people don't have them in their house, better enjoyed in the yard.

I don't know what to say to that because mine have never had ants and they always open.  I have a large arrangement in the living room and a smaller one on the dining room table.  The buds are open and I can guarantee no ants!

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@HLP wrote:

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't know what to say to that because mine have never had ants and they always open.  I have a large arrangement in the living room and a smaller one on the dining room table.  The buds are open and I can guarantee no ants!

I have ten peony plants and none of them have ants.  My peonies are blooming like crazy this year due to all the rain we've had.  Mine are pink, red, white, and white with a red rim around the flower.  I throw snail bait around the plants and I think it gets the ants also.