Esteemed Contributor

Over she goes...

[ Edited ]

Post Dorian our clean up crew was a no show, this after waiting two months for the arrival date.  DH and I cleaned up two 50'+ maples, 1 50'+ clump of birch and two medium maples.  We took ten loads (utility trailer) to be recycled yesterday and so many before I lost count.

Good thing we are both active people.  We did two days of lugging branches, cleaning brush and loading and stacking firewood.  All up hill. Thankfully we could use the side by side for moving firewood.  Silver lining is the firewood.

The large hardwoods were 70 years old according to the woodsmen who downed the injured trees.  The ones were took down were sitting ducks for the next storm.  One growing on top of a large granite boulder, the other already half gone in the storm.

Happy it is done!  LM

4D0F6413-BD75-4839-ACF9-6A8E72763782.jpeg

A8CCB139-F3B5-4DE9-9F4E-338DEB677C8E.jpeg

23569075-E238-43A1-9278-A329D14BA4C9.jpeg

5A11F9B6-2E11-4331-9743-904E0759CC02.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom What a job!  I have one down tree in my woods from the wind storm we had about 2 weeks ago.  Nothing close to what you have. 

I'll be out tomorrow to get that done- Hope you take today to relax!

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom 

What an immaculate and beautiful yard you have!

That's a huge job, but your wood piles are a work of art!

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum , we are flirting with winter here.  Snow squalls this morning.  I have my winter tires on so I'm good.

I wanted to get this dealt with before first significant snow.  You know what that's like...twice as hard to clean up.  DH is on a first name basis with the guys at the recycle depot😂.

We have a bit more wood to come up but the debris is cleaned up at least.

Good luck with your tree.  Hope we don't lose any more over winter.  Always a risk.  I hate to see the big ones go.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman , it keeps me busy!  We have to be careful not to stack too high.

There is another stack on the other side of the property...5 hardwood trees is a lot of wood.

Hoping for a few above freezing days next week so I can have another crack at the oak leaves but that may be wishful thinking.  Looking wet...rain and snow.  If not, it an wait til Spring.  The job I really wanted out of the way is done.

We are hosting a garden tour early June so I don't want this hanging over my head.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom 

From what I've read and seen here, you are always busy and have the beautiful grounds to show for it. 

We are back in the woods, and my husband still works full time (builder), so.....trees that need to come down are low on the priority list.  He's got the equiment to get them down safely, but is always doing work for someone else Cat LOL

Our once large pile of fireplace wood has diminished to almost nothing.  Anything he cuts now won't be split and piled until next spring for next winter.

We are in Southern Maryland, and November has already been exceptionally cold.  Unless he gets a warm day, the trees will just stay where they fall Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Re: Over she goes...

[ Edited ]

@Witchy Woman wrote:

@Lilysmom 

What an immaculate and beautiful yard you have!

That's a huge job, but your wood piles are a work of art!

I so agree with @Witchy Woman , @Lilysmom .  One hates to lose trees, but you've practically created art with the remains.

Now it's time for a toasty fire and something hot to drink and a big plushy throw to cuddle up in together.  Let Lily in on it, too!  

All the best for your upcoming garden tour, in case I forget to tell you that later as the time grows closer.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

We have a cold one today.  High winds and zero C or 32F.  Not ready for winter yet.  I was looking for bulbs today.  People were looking at me like 🤦‍♀️.   I really wanted some daffodils to plant in the cleared wooded area.  People thought I was loco.  Oh well, already dreaming of next spring!  LM

Respected Contributor

I have two boxes of bulbs that I need to get in the ground - thanks for the reminder!