Honored Contributor

Has anyone used an outdoor rug that is more like a composite material than a fabric?

I do not want to worry about the outdoor rug getting icky half way thru the summer because it gets really wet and the under side ruins our walkway outside or it gets moldy.

I am thinking about a non fabric material maybe with slats where the water would run thru.  If I could think of the name of what I want I would look it up my self...any ideas what I should search for?  thanks.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs I bought outdoor rugs by Barbara King. These were a polypropylene weave. Plastic.

They were very pretty & worked well on my outdoor decks.

These decks have no cover.

I just wanted something to make them look more festive.

They are lightweight. Easy to wash off. Easy to move. Easy to roll up & store away.

When it was time to buy new ones QVC wasn't carrying these anymore.

Walmart has them listed under RV Mats or Patio Mats.

I've also seen them at Target & Sam's Club.

Super Contributor

A good quarter of my backyard has been covered in large colorful rugs so when it gets very hot, my dog don't have to walk on rocks (I also use them in my front patio).   I keep the rugs out in winter as well unless it gets very windy (when it is windy, I just roll them up).     All the rugs are made with polypropylene material. So when it rains, the water will go thru the weaved "slants" material and does not get icky.  I have purchased all my rugs from QVC Barbara King in the past in different sizes and rich colors/designs.  You need to look at the description to find the rug with polypropylene.  I have seen rugs made with polypropylene at Home Depot, Walmart...although they are not made my Barbara King but they seem to be colorful.  By the way the rugs can be hosed down as well if they get too dirty.

Honored Contributor

I used some kind of rubber-like mat on my wooden deck and the mat caused the wood under it to rot. When I had my deck rebuilt, the deck builder told me not to put any kind of covering on my new deck so it can 'breathe'. fyi

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much @Dusty1 

Honored Contributor

@Reilley   I appreciate your reply.  I did not know the name of material to search

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee   My walkway is concrete - I don't know if the rug would cause an issue or not.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@SilleeMee   My walkway is concrete - I don't know if the rug would cause an issue or not.

@Mom2Dogs 

Rugs won't harm the concrete but rugs on concrete might allow mold to grow and that can eventually stain the concrete. If the rug gets wet from whatever reasons, I would remove the rug and let everything dry.  Allowing sunlight onto a walkway will help prevent molds from growing.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs I bought outdoor rugs by Barbara King. These were a polypropylene weave. Plastic.

They were very pretty & worked well on my outdoor decks.

These decks have no cover.

I just wanted something to make them look more festive.

They are lightweight. Easy to wash off. Easy to move. Easy to roll up & store away.

When it was time to buy new ones QVC wasn't carrying these anymore.

Walmart has them listed under RV Mats or Patio Mats.

I've also seen them at Target & Sam's Club.

@Dusty1   I bought one of the polypropylene rugs and it was a disaster.  Yes, they were lightweight, so much so the the corners were constantly blowing up.  I nearly broke my neck tripping over it and falling. I'm sure that's why QVC quit carrying them.  I threw mine out and would never buy another. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Yes, we used them for our campsites when we had the camper. They are very lightweight so the wind will grab them unless they are anchored with furniture. My DH moved our camper rugs into the garage under the cars to protect the garage floor, we had horrid winds this year and one day the wind pulled one of the rugs out of the garage and it ended up at the top of our property. . . nearly a thousand feet away! They are easy to clean, they dry easily and are very lightweight.

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)