Respected Contributor

For the past 15 yrs. or so I have lived in upper story condos with small balconies.  The most I would do on the balcony is put down an indoor-outdoor rug and a couple chairs and table.  I'm moving into a new place with a more substantial deck and am really looking forward to spending lots of quality time out there while the weather cooperates here in Michigan. 

It seems in recent years that patio and deck furniture has really been upgraded and I'm seeing lots of substantial pieces for outdoor spaces, like sofas and even sectionals!  (Gotta check my HOA guidelines to see if I can have a fire table!)  My question is, for those who live in areas with winter weather, what do you do with your patio furniture during the off season?  Do you bring it indoors and if so, where do you store it, in your garage or basement?  If you keep it out, do you cover it or winterize it some way?  And, during the summer season, do you keep your cushions out on the furniture all the time, or just put it out when you're using it?  I know the cushions are meant for outdoor weather, but if they get soaked in a rain, do they stay damp for a while? 

Respected Contributor

@Suzeecat 

As for the cushions, why not get a decorative storage trunk or bin for the cushions ?  Some of them can double as benches for additional seating or serving “ tables “.

Enjoy your new space !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

I live in upstate NY, but not in a condo. 

1) We bring all our furniture in during the winter and store in the basement.  Don't like doing so, because it is heavy, but it will get ruined in no time if you don't.  You can buy furniture covers, which will protect your furniture if you don't have inside storage.  If you have space on your balcony, consider a storage bench.

2) Yes cushions get wet. They dry off pretty quickly, but I have more than once sat on a wet cushion.  

3) In the summer, the cushions and everything else is outside full-time.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

We live in CO and our patio furniture stays out year round. The cushions are put in a storage box. We leave them out all Summer on the furniture and they dry off very quickly if it rains on them.

Honored Contributor

We have a small three piece sectional with coffee table on the deck. We have an outside bin from Lowe’s for the cushions. I only put them out when we use the deck.

For winter we pile the sectional  on the deck against the house and cover it with a tarp. It just goes over the top, but we’ve had the furniture for about five years and no problems.

Honored Contributor

I live in the upper part of the lower peninsula of Michigan. We have Berlin Gardens outdoor furniture. It wears like iron! We do cover them over the winter months and just power wash them in the Spring. We have a yellow cottage with white trim and got turquoise patio furniture. Its striking! We've actually had people, every once in a while, stop over and ask what type of turniture we have. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I would first check with your HOA to see what's allowed.  And get any recommendations from them.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for all the input!  @ID2 , your home and patio sound lovely!  I will definitely look into that brand of furniture!

Honored Contributor

We have outdoor furniture at two different places.  At our home, we leave the furniture out 24/7/366.  We purchased covers for the wintertime and leave them out. No cushions on that furniture.

At our summer place, we have all wood  folding furniture or furniture that can be disassembled easily from Ikea.  They all have cushions.  We only keep the cushions on while we are using it, we have a storage box on the desk for storage.  Everything comes inside a shed for the winter.

We are planning on getting an aluminum awning this year. I think I will keep the cushions on full time during the summer because they will not be in the sun or get rained on.  The sun will ruin outdoor furniture in no time at all.

i have found the best covers for furniture at Walmart...ordered them online.  They are about five years old and still like new, no damage from weather or sun.I would highly recommend them.

I just got two outdoor Sawyer recliners from La-Z-Boy.  They are super comfortable and beautiful. I am keeping them covered outside and bringing them indoors for winter. They are so nice that they can be used indoors...sunbrella fabric...the best.  I might have to chain them to my deck so they don't disappear.  

If I had to do it all over, I would buy outdoor recliners and use indoors and outdoors, no need to find a storage place for them in the winter, just bring them inside for extra comfortable seating.

Honored Contributor

I find even with a covered patio, the furniture can still get snow or rain on it depending on the direction of the wind. We cover our furniture during the winter months. This year we are restaining the redwood furniture with a redwood stain. Our cushions all came from a large family owned outdoor furniture company here. Fortunately they had matching cushions (3) with seat & back to go over a sofa that we inherited from my MIL’s home. I already had a tete a tete with the table between it that had the same cushions.  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼