Trusted Contributor

My Son and DIL gave me a beautiful orchid for my birthday and now all the flowers have dropped.  Not sure what do do with it now.  Will it rebloom and how long will it take??

Honored Contributor

Do you know what kind of orchid it is?  Phalaenopsis?

Honored Contributor

@MrsCat21

To get it to re-bloom (or grow a new orchid plant), cut the stalk that the last blooms were on leaving 2 'notches' (for lack of a better term) on the stem.

You will either grow new flowers, or more likely a new orchid plant, that you can then remove and plant on it's own for new flowers.

I hope this made sense, LOL!

I have a 3 year old orchid plant that has produced 2 new plants which bloomed, but it's not easy to get them to re-bloom, not for me anyway!

Good luck!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Did @MrsCat21 read my mind. My Mother's Day orchids dropped 2 flowers in the last 4 days and still has 13 blooms left and don't want to loose it.

There are 2 different stalks in the planter.

@KingstonsMom

Don't want to appear to be a total plant idiot but I don't understand the rebloom directions. Please do the simplified version for orchid dummies

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Did @MrsCat21 read my mind. My Mother's Day orchids dropped 2 flowers in the last 4 days and still has 13 blooms left and don't want to loose it.

There are 2 different stalks in the planter.

@KingstonsMom

Don't want to appear to be a total plant idiot but I don't understand the rebloom directions. Please do the simplified version for orchid dummies

@hopiHeart

Hi Hopi, my old friend from the Dooney Forum!Heart

Once all of the blooms have dropped off of the stalk, you will see several 'notches'

on the stalk (like where a new leaf would form).

Cut the former flower stalk off at the second notch from the bottom of the stalk....again, it looks like a notch where a new leaf would form on the stalk.

Then just water as usual and it will either re-bloom or grow a new orchid plant.

Most of the time mine grow a new orchid plant rather than re-flower, but once the new plant is a decent size (root wise), cut it off, replant it in it's own container and it will bloom.

HTH!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that all the known information about orchids is available at your fingertips, on the Internet. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 

Orchid Information is all over online.   I  like  *ORCHID GIRL*, she has good information.  

I have 7 PHAL Orchids I am trying not to kill.  Less water is better than too much!  I water at the sink once a week and use a good orchid food in the water once a month. Keep them in  South/East facing windows with good light but no hot sun.  

Keep Calm and Orchid On, 

CAT

Super Contributor

I buy them all the time from the grocery store. Cut the stem off when done blooming. Water no more than once a week, don't let them sit in water. I've had one rebloom 5 times, south window. Some in east window have bloomed twice. And I've killed about 5! Lol!Heart

Honored Contributor

@gacat123  When I lived in the Houston area, I got into raising Bromeliads which flourish under conditions similar to those of orchids.  Orchid growers always look down their noses at Bromeliad fanciers.  Anyway, I had about 250 varieties and a big greenhouse.  I really miss them but they're tropical and not suited for the desert climate in which I live. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I just went to a class on orchids and she said whenever you cut the stem, or leaves, or roots, always use sterile scissors ( you can use alcohol to sterilize).  Otherwise, you can introduce fungus.

Also, when you cut the stem after blooming is done - wait until it turns brown and then cut.  Rub cinnamon into the cut.  That will kill fungus and will also promote reblooming.

Never repot while blooming.  Never use ice cubes to water (too cold).  In fact use room temp or warm water (rain water is even better.)  Water by submersing the pot into water and leave it for up to 30 min.  Drain and then wait for the medium to dry out before watering again. 

Repot only when the air roots (white) are numerous and then only to a pot about an inch bigger.  Never cut white or greem roots - only cut brown ones.  Fertilize (20-20-20) every two weeks when blooming and once a month while resting.

I've had pretty good luck with mine (several varieties) and most have rebloomed, but I wasn't doing everything she advised so will try it and see how it works.