Esteemed Contributor

I have two orchids that are very good bloomers. I was looking at one that still has a 16" stalk of flowers and noticed "buds" coming right out from the roots. Usually, the stalk grows and the buds form at the end of the stalks. Anyone notice this before?

0218181018_resized.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep, I have just 2 orchids that bloom well, but have never seen any blooms forming from the roots. But - I'm not an expert on orchids, and am just thankful when they bloom for me! I'd like to ask you a question. I noticed that the roots on the orchid in the photo are pretty long and out of the pot - same way my orchid looks. My DH keeps telling me that the orchid needs to be repotted into a larger pot. I'm not sure if that's the thing to do. Do you repot? Or, let the roots continue to grow outside the pot? Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  @jannabelle1.   You ought to be able to get a lot of information on orchids culture on the Internet.  I've been a Bromeliad grower in the past (separate culture but similar habit) and they multiply by putting out a "pup" from the bottom.  When it gets about 2/3 the size of the adult, you can cut it off and pot separately.  In the case of Bromeliad the parent plant then slowly dies.  it may put out multiple plantlets.  Perhaps orchids have a similar habit.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor
Cattleyas, which tend to grow laterally and will extend past the opt rim when pot-bound, will also send out roots into the air. Orchid roots have a greenish growth stem and are covered with a waxy appearing layer called vellum. The method by which the roots absorb water is controversial.

@jannabelle1 I always felt that these were air roots on my plant and since the plants are doing so well and I sort of like the look, I've just left them. I have not transplated them,
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

I live in Florida and have over 40 Orchids of all different varieties.  Your blooms are perfectly normal.  Bloom location depends on plant.  Enjoy

Honored Contributor

Saw this today in New Yorker magazine:

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@pattypeep I love, love, love Orchids!! Could look at them all day long. Magical beauty.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

The roots coming out of the pot are normal. No need to repot.