Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opening round, Garden 2017

@lulu2, the dogs are wonderful companions aren't they?  Lily is still very active.  She LOVES the water like all Labs.

For a dog to reach 17, that is an amazing milestone.  Lily looks like a wise old soul now ... until a rabbit or a squirrel runs past and then she is on yard duty🙂.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr, funny thing...I just read about that too.  There is a big to do about some of the Canada 150 tulips coming out orange instead of red and white.  There was a designated supplier and you could only buy them there. Not entirely true as I found a package in Walmart.  Lord knows what they will look like.

Here are some photos of the ones of mine that have opened so far. No complaints here.   LM

IMG_0485.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0493.JPG

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Icegoddess, although we don't get your heat and we do get more rain, last year was a very dry year for us as well.  I belong to a local gardening forum and people there are talking about damage from the drought of last year manifesting in this year's garden.  It makes me think about buying drought resistant plants  when I add to the garden.  LM

@Lilysmom, several things in my garden are stunted this year.  Some of my hostas, and I lost a few, and even the native volunteer Mayapples.  I'm assuming it's from last year's dought, but we also had an extremely mild winter, so my Mountain Laurel didn't bloom this year and didn't even put on new growth.  They are native to the area, but higher elevations, so the warm winter probably affected it.

Esteemed Contributor

I can see some of my evergreens with brown tips.  No evidence of that before this year.  They are well established @Icegoddess.  The Rhodos are also dropping their leaves.

I love mountain laurel.  So pretty!   LM

Honored Contributor

Roses will also produce smaller flowers in times of drought too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼