Esteemed Contributor

It is supposed to hit 90 degrees today, our first warm day of Spring.  

Our Lab Lily wants you know that we have our priorities straight here on gardening days.  Dog swim first, gardening second😎.  Lily is my garden companion and follows me from one garden bed to the next.

Not much colour yet.  Primula and phlox are just ready to open.  Canada 🇨🇦 150 tulips are a few days away.  I am playing games with the rabbits trying to defeat them.  I win some, they win some.  Just caught one ready to snack on my emerging hostas.

Happy spring everyone.  It is a long weekend here in Canada to celebrate the Queen's birthday.  All serious gardeners will be out in full force and the forecast is lovely!  LM

IMG_0291.JPGIMG_0231.JPGIMG_0244.JPGIMG_0245.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0263.JPGIMG_0264.JPGIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0266.JPGIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0279.JPGIMG_0280.JPGIMG_0281.JPGIMG_0284.JPGIMG_0287.JPGIMG_0289.JPGIMG_0290.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0296.JPGIMG_0300.JPG

Trusted Contributor

Re: Opening round, Garden 2017

@Lilysmom.  Thank you so much for sharing the pictures of your beautiful gardens.  You and Lily have done a great job.  Here in central NY we got to 89 yesterday and should do the same today.  60s tomorrow.  Last week I got up to see frost on my car.  Crazy weather.   I loved our camping/fishing trips to Canada.  Lily is brave going swimming now.  Often the ice had just gone off the lakes when we got there for Memorial weekend.  

Now retired I am slowly trying to rebuild my neglected flower beds.   My last 11 years I worked 70 hours per week so many things did not get done.   Having been a stay at home mom for 16 years my SS was minimal.  Shocking news.  After working 34 years I was only to receive $50 above minimum.  This summer I will redo the soil and get ready to plant in the fall.  Annuals will work for now.  Thank goodness I had some plants the deer and rabbits did not destroy.   They can be split and moved around.   It will be fun and relaxing.

Honored Contributor

Beautiful gardens. I live in the South, and it gets too hot here for Primulas.  I am just hoping we aren't setting up for last year's weather pattern of basically no rain for the summer.  We need a good rain now.  The rain we were supposed to get last Friday broke up before reaching us. 

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Ms Mom and Ms Lily never disappoint!  Lily has her priorities doesn't she?  Oh, and that little graying face, it amuses me that dogs get gray just like we do. 

It's always such a joy to see your spring coming alive again when mine has been there, done that already!  I get to re-live MANY of your garden joys as I did in my own yard.  Don't forget to pick a few fleurs for your home, there's nothing like fresh bouquets that you can just walk outside to pluck for your own.

Happy Spring to you, your hubby, and of course Lily!!!  A heartfelt thanks as always!

Respected Contributor

Enchanting and Beautiful! 

Never get the chance to use the word enchanting...fits the bill here about your place, truly.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom I absolutely loved looking at your pictures !!

thankyoubutterflies.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@Gram W, congratulations on your retirement.  It is such a wonderful treat after many years in the workforce.  

It's nice to hear that you are going to start gardening again.  If you were here, I would certainly have some plants to share.  Find someone with a mature garden and you can garden affordable.  

I know you get our weather in Nova Scotia if you live in New York!  Until a couple of days ago, I was wearing a light winter jacket on my morning walks so today's weather is a real treat!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess, although we don't get your heat and we do get more rain, last year was a very dry year for us as well.  I belong to a local gardening forum and people there are talking about damage from the drought of last year manifesting in this year's garden.  It makes me think about buying drought resistant plants  when I add to the garden.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ, thank you!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD, great to start off a new season.  Lily's name should have been Shadow😃!  She turns 10 in June.  LM