Esteemed Contributor

October ... transition gardening to swimming to pickling to quilting 🙂

We worked in the garden today, then had a swim in the lake and then I worked on a quilted table runner for Christmas.  We have had a busy month making chow and relish and apple pies for the freezer.

I love Fall.  September in Nova Scotia has been gorgeous.  Much to be thankful for as Thanksgiving weekend approaches in Canada this weekend.

Happy Fall to my gardening friends.  LM

Joe Pye Weed

IMG_2378.JPG

All the garden furniture  at the lake is inside except for one bench as we squeeze in a few more swims

IMG_2523.JPG

Chow

IMG_2546.JPG

Relish.

IMG_2688.JPG

Relish

IMG_2675.JPG

I couldn't find a Christmas runner I liked so I made one. Quilting all done except for the borders which are pinned and waiting for the final quilting tomorrow.  Then a wash and a press and table ready.  A good warm up for a winter quilting project.

IMG_2686.JPGIMG_2683.JPGIMG_2685.JPG

Trusted Contributor

Re: October ... transition gardening to swimming to pickling to quilting 🙂

@Lilysmom: All I can say is, WOW!! I live in the desertsouthwest and we're still pushing 100.

Beautiful pictures

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom Your runner is gorgeous.  I see not all your talents lie in gardening.  Maybe if I'd take an early dip in a lake, I would I'd get more done during the day.  It seems to work for you.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@Lilysmom: All I can say is, WOW!! I live in the desertsouthwest and we're still pushing 100.

Beautiful pictures

@Sadiesadie You just picked the wrong place to settle. I live in the Albuquerque area and it has cooled nicely. I'm using a blanket at night; AC off for the year.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  What a serene beautiful way of life....gardening, swims in the back yard lake, creating a quilt runner that brings joy, canning a yummy relish; makes me happy and soothes my soul just looking at your pictures!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom-

That table runner is so pretty!

You probably have said many times but I didn't know you lived in Canada!

My stepmother came from there and always described how beautiful it was and how much she missed it.

You seem to really enjoy your life and thats a wonderful thing.

Thank you for sharing your pictures!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Beautiful!  As always you are way ahead of me and I just have a small yard.  Pulling the rest of the annuals out of my pots tomorrow and planting Costco daffodil bulbs in them.  I also need to move my pots with perennials in them off my covered patio to the side of the house so they get "watered" this winter.  Then the leaves will turn and start to fall.....

Honored Contributor

Your runner reminds me of something Mary Engelbreit would draw.

I had a hydrangea transplanted today from another part of my garden in preparation of a spring project. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  Joe Pye is still going strong for you. Looks great. And look at you quilting  yourself a runner for your upcoming holidays. I love table runners and have a few myself, not created by me but look good on my black walnut dining table. Add a few choice nicely scented candles for the holidays and we're all set, eh?

Saddens me this time of year with everything we all so loved from April until just about now. Leaves are turning, falling already around here crunching under our feet while (poodle) Wally and I do our morning walks. His feet are hairy so they love to gather bits of those leaves. Plants don't look so hot now. We've been harvesting a nice crop of a variety of tomatoes, 2 kinds of beans earlier in the season. Still have onions in the ground we dip into, a few pepper varieties too - in fact DH stuffed our one & only poblano pepper last weekend, very tasty.

Of course the first to go is our little crop of dogwoods in the front yard, they always turn first. But as we all know we cannot have our gorgeous springs without the fall turning into winter bringing cold & snow to blanket first then give that burst to all we love in the spring.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, I was pondering a hydrangea move yesterday but I think I will wait for Spring.  We moved a burning bush, a forsythia, a holly and a barberry yesterday.  I am trying to get all my shrubs in beds as DH is thinking about a sit down mower.  

DH says he has moved everything in this yard five times😒.  Not quite true but it soon will be!  LM