Trusted Contributor

Re: Now, what would be doing this?

I would say racoons, too. I have two that visit at night anywhere after ten o'clock, but usually after eleven. If you put out dry catfood, they might leave your feeder alone. They get into the unsalted peanuts in my squirrel feeder and tip that over, too. They also like grapes.

Honored Contributor

Destruction like that equals squirrels, raccoons, deer, and bears.  All would be drawn to the sweet nectar and suet/seed.   The suet blocks would also draw rats.   

Honored Contributor

Racoons are nimble critters.

Honored Contributor

@happycat.  Do you happen to have any bears in your area?  They'll take hummingbird feeders and any other food including bird seed and suet.  These are gourmet treats for bears.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@happycat.  Do you happen to have any bears in your area?  They'll take hummingbird feeders and any other food including bird seed and suet.  These are gourmet treats for bears.

@Kachina624, I have never seen a bear here, but there have been reports of them not far from here at all.  Whatever it was, was able to take the block of suet right out of the the feeder, and one time it took the whole thing, suet container and all. I never found it. It could be a bear, in all honesty. I really hope not, though. 

I have two cats that don't want to be in all the time and if I try to keep the one of them in when he wants out, he howls, paces and its just not fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Based on what happens at my house, my vote is for the raccoons! Our squirrels blatantly get in my bird feeders during the day - right in front of me. They hang upside down and eat away - even as I'm standing 3' away from them and scolding them. So - my hummer feeders end up empty and on the ground in the morning too, so I'm pretty sure it's the little raccoon critters. If it was the squirrels, they'd do it during the day just to taunt me! Lol!

Esteemed Contributor

LOL, @jannabelle1. I think they have you figured out!

Esteemed Contributor

My vote goes to raccoons too......

Frequent Contributor

well, I just went out to check my feeder because I forgot to bring it in last night.

sure enough, both the feeder and the ant trap were on the ground!

got to be raccoons!

Esteemed Contributor

Could be opossum, too.

Cogito ergo sum