Esteemed Contributor

Re: Not one indoor plant in my house...

I used to have quite a few indoor plants, but now that I'm retired I'm down to just 3. I think I just got tired of taking care of them. I still enjoy my Christmas cactus that continues to bloom yearly and I can't be without my lopsided aloe plant for the occasional burns from cooking!

Honored Contributor

I used to travel for work and now that we are retired we go to our cottage quite a bit.  So its always been an issue to keep things watered and not dying.  I just got out of the habit after a few failures.

Respected Contributor

I have an enclosed sun porch on the back of my house and it gets Southern xposure.  Boy do I get sunshine!!  So I have a few houseplants, mostly succulents of some sort.  I started a small flower garden on the outside of the porch, I have floor to ceiling windows, so I can see the flowers outside, and have some greenery inside.

I'll see how it goes.  I'm not going for a tropical look, but just something to add interest here n there.  Succulents are pretty low maintenance and I just bought a medium size Croton which I need to repot into a nicer pot. 

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Esteemed Contributor

I see msny have the Christmas cactus.  My friend has one.  A beautiful plant.  They seem to live a long time.  LM

Honored Contributor

I grow stuff all year long outside, but bring my Rosemary plants inside in the fall. I'm still nursing my Christmas cactus from last year, I'm hoping it blooms again for the holiday.

Super Contributor

I have many house plants (as well as outdoor garden).  Some houseplants I consider my old and dear friends!  I have a sansevieria (snake plant, Mother-in-law's tongue) plant that I have since I started working in 1968!  It sat on many office desks and traveled with me when I moved.  It's been in my present house for 37 years!  I have two ficus trees (big!) that are in large pots on dollies.  They spend the summer on my deck and then come back inside for the winter.  I plan to move them inside tomorrow.  I have a jade plant that I bought in the Longwood Gardens gift shop in 2001.  I have many other long-term residents.  But, today, I had the best surprise.  I've had a Clivia plant for maybe 15-20 years.  It bloomed when I first got it, but not after.  I just kept nursing it and today to my complete surprise it was in bloom.  It is a good day!  So, yes, I have many indoor plants.

New Contributor

@alicedee, I just love your shamrock plants, I've never heard of these!  I'm in North Texas, where are you?  Maybe they're only common in your area, I'd love to know... They look like something that would/could survive here inside or out side in the shade.  

Honored Contributor

I no longer have any houseplants.  I have a cat and I would have to be careful as what plant would be safe.  I am lucky to have time for myself let alone a plant.  Tomorrow I have to clean up my deck and the flowers from summer.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   Indoor plants never did well, so have none.  Fresh flowers make a mess and don't last long, but sometimes, I pick some.  I use faux flowers and branches inside, go crazy on the arrangements I make, just finished my Fall arrangemnts, lots of fun for me to create these.

Since I am outside every day, I enjoy the flowers there, think they are happier there, I know they last a lot longer than inside.