Honored Contributor

Re: Not one indoor plant in my house...

I started out with house plants and I just have the desire to try to grow things that won't survive my outside environment.  However, I really don't like having plants in the house.  Everything goes outside for the summer and as much as possible I keep them in the garage for the winter.  A few can't go in the garage due to lack of space and they do end up inside.  I desprately would love a winter greenhouse to overwinter all my house plants, many of which my father sent home with me from my mother's funeral.  However, the only spot in my back yard that would get enough sun in winter is on the concrete pad that is currently occupied by my husband's old Toyota Supra (sports car), so unless I can talk him into another pad where he could park that (and put a garden shed on) I'm out of luck.  Also, not sure how I would secure it at least on two sides.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess , the greenhouse is a nice idea but I never went there.  With our weather, winter storms etc I think it would be a sitting duck🙄.  LM

Honored Contributor

I used to have several houseplants, but once both girls were diagnosed with asthma and my husband diagnosed with COPD, we cleared the house of the plants, all carpet, rugs, and as many dust collectors as possible.   

I do still have the Christmas cactus that was started off the one my grandmother had in her bedroom when she died in 1969.   It spends the summer on my front porch, and winters in my basement.  I have no interest in having houseplants again.   

Honored Contributor

My two indoor plants are in my sunroom until October.

Respected Contributor

Got rid of all my house plants about a year ago. I started out full force with many different varieties and Lily plants, orchards and others. The Peace Lily's stopped flowering, and always had brown tips, I had to trim. My snake plants got huge and too heavy for me, then got mushy. Couldn't keep up with the philodendrons. Some plants attracted knats too. Also my drs in Mayo didn't seem too fond of bedroom plants...and here I thought they cleaned the air...oh well.... I believe the soil gets moldy...all gone!! Just outside plants for me....and what doesn't behave, gets trashed.
Respected Contributor

Same here-my cats would eat them!

Honored Contributor

I love fresh cut flowers and either use them from my own gardens or buy beautiful bouquets---at the grocery store.

I have a bright lime green orchid in my master bath right now.

I have a night blooming cactus that I hope blooms again next summer.  Or I'm out $25.Woman LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  I'm terrible at keeping indoor plants alive! My neighbor kept giving me aloe plants when the kids were little. And I kept killing them! I'm great in the garden, but not so indoors. Most of my life I've had a cat indoors, and they liked to eat or dig my plants. Now, the only plant I try to keep alive is my fern that spends the summer outside and the winter inside. By the time spring rolls around, it's barely hanging on. Someone once told me if your are good at making pies, you aren't so great at baking cakes and cookies. That's me too.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Is anyone else like that or is it just me?  Maybe I have so much outside, I don’t to repeat it inside,  LM

Hahaha! Yes!  But, I'm the opposite.

I have at least 20+ "indoor" plants and nothing outdoors.

I suppose some peeps have their preferences.

I don't like being out in the hot sun, so I limit my "yard" work.

A lot of the flowers I've planted in the past died over time because my yard gets too much sun and the flowers & plants I like can't take a lot of sun.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

I used to have spider plants, and pothos in my house but got tired of them. but the one plant I still have are a few Xmas cacti's---one is from my MIL that I got 40 years ago when she had it from her MIL at least 40 years before that. got just a piece of it and it lived in a jar of water for many years, then I planted it. that thing ,I am sure is nearling the century mark. Still blooms every Easter and T-day thru Xmas time. I need to transplant it before it blooms again. Found one a few years ago that has a yellow flower--they other are shades of fushia pink and red----