Respected Contributor

Re: Northeast - Do you have any Hummers?

in So. NE, my hummers showed up April 27, but i had the feeder set up for two weeks already. i always have it out early April,    the first one was a male. there are "scouts" who fly ahead to check out prime locations.  now i have a bunch of birds and extra feeders.

please use plain clear sugar water for nectar for the hummers and not that red stuff.  the dyes are bad for their little livers and kidneys.

hummingbird migration map:

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom"Do they migrate to your area at all?"

According to the map ashieigh dupray linked, I live right inbetween the green & red dot migration areas. 

I asked my neighbors and none has ever seen a humming bird either.

The first sign of spring here are robins.  Red & yellow cardinals are here all year round. I haven't seen a blue jay in 3 years.

We all noticed that the rabbits are scarce this year out in the open.  The hawks & vultures are huge.  Every morning we see them dive bombing catching birds in mid air.  Cars in the open lot sometimes get bloodied w/body parts on the car roofs.  Does more damage than the Canadian geese poop. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline, yes, that is what I do for food too.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac, I had no idea there were yellow cardinals.  How lovely!  

Yes, those Canadian Geese are a menace aren't they?  I thankfully have very little experience with them.  Two or three landed in this area for a few days a couple of years ago.  They were on our dog walk route.  What is mess.

The rabbits have resurged here as well and the coyotes are all over the place.  I ran into a big one the other morning.  I see them from time to time.  I carry a marine horn to scare wildlife should I have an encounter.  The bears  are around the green bins as well.

The vultures sound scary.  I have seen a bird hawk targeting smaller birds but nothing like you describe with the vultures.  When we feed the birds, we make sure to place the feeders near cover so the small finches can take cover if they need to.

LM

Trusted Contributor

Lots of Hummers in Western New York, I put 2 feeders up and love watching them.