Esteemed Contributor

Northeast - Do you have any Hummers?

It's been cold - and heavy rains every weekend for a month - I have feeder out a month before Hummingbirds are expected in May - finally saw 2 sightings.....but basically nothing.  The weather may have disturbed their migration.  Any seen in PA, downstate NY - or nearby States?

Honored Contributor

Re: Northeast - Do you have any Hummers?

I'm not in the northeast--mid south for me.  But I've been deluged with hummies this year!  They came early, almost a month before normal.  And now I have as many as I normally do during July and August.  They've had me hopping filling up feeders for the last few weeks.  I've already gone through ten pounds of sugar!

Hopefully when your weather turns better you'll have more headed your way.  You can have some of mine!  

Esteemed Contributor

So that's where they are!!!!!!!!    LOL   I suspected they just couldn't get through all the near freezing temps and heavy windy rains - so they found a warmer dryer home in the lower states.  Ten pounds of sugar is a lot - I'm about out and was wondering if I should (or shouldn't) invest in more for this season.  I don't bake - so sugar is only for the hummbers.  Thanks for your reply - I do appreciate it.

Happy Memorial Day Weekend.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt

We are in New Hampshire and the hummers have been here since mid April.  They came about a month earlier that they usually do.  Currently we have about 10 at the feeders. 

New Contributor

Yes, Northeast PA about 25 miles west of Scranton.  I had a hummer here two weeks ago, put out my feeders and have only hummingbirds passing through but not staying. That warm day we received I had three fighting over one feeder on my second storey deck, they, too, left. Now the last two days I have one male hanging out around my clump white birch where I have a Baltimore Oriole feeder - I have a red-headed woodpecker who loves to feed at this clear sugar water every season! This Hummer is feeding at this clear sugar feeder instead of the red ones I have posted in four other localtions around my yard. Odd year, isnt' it? I hope they are here to stay soon. I, too, love them so much!

Honored Contributor

I've lived in Pa & Joisey.  In all my 66 yrs I have yet seen a humming bird.

I'm currently living in Jurassic Park (the boonies).  Huge vultures flying about.  Humming birds must be their snack after a road kill meal.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt, I record the arrivals and departures of our hummers every year.  This year they arrived May 15th.  I am in Nova Scotia.  They are like clockwork every year.  Maybe yours are nesting?  LM

PS! Cold and wet here.

Respected Contributor

I have only seen one Hummingbird so far here in Southern Maine. Still a bit to cold for them. Will be putting out the feeders for them today.

Super Contributor

Central Mass.  They' ve been here for about 2 weeks!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac, that's amazing!  Do they migrate to your area at all?  They are one of my first signs of Spring.  I think the same ones return year after year.  They know where to look for the feeders.  They don't like the new one in the front yard so we will have to change that.  I bought a huge fuschia today.  They just love those plants!

I have never seen a cardinal where I liv.  I have seen them I other places south of of me and I know they occur in my Province but none here.

My big treat a few winters ago was to see an indigo bunting.  Amazingly beautiful.  LM