Super Contributor

Non-Toxic Weed Killers That Work?

I tried using Dr. Earth to kill some weeds in the landscape rocks this week. I think the weeds liked it ... they look bigger Smiley Happy.

I've used boiling water before to kill weeds with some success.

Anyone use a non-toxic product that actually works on killing weeds?

Contributor

Re: Non-Toxic Weed Killers That Work?

Vinegar!

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with @Magga1234 but be careful it doesn’t migrate into other plant or grass areas.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

yep, use full strength, look for 5% acidity.

Some cheap brands of vinegar are the full 5%, others  are diluted, so check the label.

White, cider doesn't matter. Its the acid percentage that's important.

You can pour it into a sprinkling can, a garden sprayer, or a squeeze bottles with a precise nozzle, which I prefer.

The vinegar kills by upsetting the ph level, making it toxic to the plant without doing lasting harm to the soil.

Your goal is to get the vinegar into the soil right at the roots. If soil is overly dried out dampen it first. This will also kill desireable plants, which is why I like a precise applicator.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the vinegar suggestions ... I'll give it a try later in the week ... we're actually supposed to get rain over the next 3 days.

Honored Contributor

There is a torch made for a propane bottle that singes and kills weeds.  TruValue Hardware.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I have the weed torch.  I use it to control weeds in gravel.  I got mine at Lee Valley.  Not to be used near mulch, landscape fabric, dry grass etc because of fire risk.  When there is a ban on outdoor burning, it should not be used.  Keeps the gravel free of those pesky low lying weeds.  LM

Honored Contributor

Yes the vinegar suggestions sound great. Never knew.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Kachina624, I have the weed torch.  I use it to control weeds in gravel.  I got mine at Lee Valley.  Not to be used near mulch, landscape fabric, dry grass etc because of fire risk.  When there is a ban on outdoor burning, it should not be used.  Keeps the gravel free of those pesky low lying weeds.  LM

@Lilysmom   My whole big yard is gravel, not a blade of grass.  I have to be careful because of the under-layment.  I had a lot of weeds this summer.  You wouldn't think they could get through the weed blocker and the gravel.  Want a tumbleweed to add to your collection?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, I love that weed torch😀.  I have one with a bbq sized tank. The small tank wouldn’t cover what I need to do.  They should invent something for the garden.  Lately, I have taken to using river rock instead of mulch.  You never have to replace it and it is harder for the weeds to establish.  I made a new garden area adjacent to the rock wall and used it there. I also used it in the repair where we lost the two large spruce.  

We are in single digit temps this morning (Celsius).  Someone threw a switch, Fall has arrived.  I am guessing my long swims are over for this year.  Back to the pool.😢.  LM