Contributor

My Dad passed away and always handled the outside of the house. I have a landscaper and he planted flowers around my maple trees.  This year I want to dress up my front stoop and garage area.  Dad would plant geraniums in front of the garage but I would like other thoughts.  I went to a garden shop yesterday and a lady said to be careful because a lot of the flowers are fragile and very messy especially with the wind.  I get plenty of sun and in New England.  Any ideas??? 

Valued Contributor

Re: No knowledge about flowers

You could try New Guinea impatiens.  They handle full sun and come in several colors.  If you neglect to water them, they will shrivel, but once watered perk right up again.  

Honored Contributor

Hi @theresa!

How about some button mums?

Image result for button mums

Image result for button mums

The are hardy and all different colors. Most parts of New England are in zone 6A and the mums should be planted in the spring (including May) so they can establish roots enabling them to survive the winter. They also need good drainage.

One thing to beware-when planting or potting flowers by a door or anywhere you sit, there will be bees enjoying them too!

You could also use some pretty evergreen shrubs in pots -that would be something attractive but no bees.

Garden centers , esp. the large ones have so many pretty flowers, you may get ideas just walking around. And you can ask questions when you are thereSmiley Happy

Related image

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@theresa

http://www.almanac.com/sites/default/files/styles/primary_image_in_article/public/images/petunias.jpg?itok=dlLGDzdX

Petunias are a hardy flower and come in a variety of colors.  They love sun.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@theresa

Portulacas (aka moss rose) are another favorite of mine.  They need full sun all day long for best blooming.   As you will see they do well as container plants.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-lUrTy6yGKL8/T_s3OV8ih2I/AAAAAAAAA2s/9AdalbruXVY/s1600/TheShed_WhitePortulaca.JPG

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I recommend perennials.  They're more expensive than annuals but you'll save money in the long run by not having to replace them every year.

Honored Contributor

I was looking to see what the suggestions were.I like herb pots by my back door.

the topic reminded me of something my friend said the other day.Her daughter buys potted baskets to gift her for Mother's Day every year.This year as she delivered the usual she was a little exasperated with her mother...said that it was time she learned to take better care of them so they wouldn't die.My friend told her daughter that she needed to buy perennials then...annuals are called that for a reason.

Esteemed Contributor

I started with day lillies.  I also did petunias in the planters on the porch, mailbox and lamp post. Conatiner gardens are my new favorite. I think they are easier to maintain or re-do. 

Honored Contributor

I'd start with bulbs.    They will come back every year and even multiply.

Hostas for shade, day lilies or canna lilies for sun.  

Don't overdo, start small and build on it every year.

Sorry about your dad . My late husband had the green thumb in my family.

@theresa wrote:

My Dad passed away and always handled the outside of the house. I have a landscaper and he planted flowers around my maple trees.  This year I want to dress up my front stoop and garage area.  Dad would plant geraniums in front of the garage but I would like other thoughts.  I went to a garden shop yesterday and a lady said to be careful because a lot of the flowers are fragile and very messy especially with the wind.  I get plenty of sun and in New England.  Any ideas??? 

Esteemed Contributor

@theresa So much depends on how much sun an area gets and if you want to enjoy flowers throughout the growing season. Perennials usually only bloom in the spring, so I always intersperse annuals for summer flowering. Lilies, for instance, are one time bloomers and then done until the following year. Most bulbs are that way. I believe your dad was wise using geraniums. They are sturdy, usually pest free, and in pots are especially lovely mixed with trailing lobelia ~ purple or white. Have fun, don't overthink, and if you don't love your initial plan, try something new next year. God bless.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein