Valued Contributor

No Hummingbirds this summer :*(

It's really strange. I have no hummingbirds this summer. I put my feeders out early and I had one little female, then nothing. I change my sugar water all the time to keep it fresh and have even changed the locations of the feeders. Still nothing.  I usually have at least four. I have a big Mimosa tree that usually attracts them, so hopefully, when it blooms they will come back. I love watching them. 

Respected Contributor

Re: No Hummingbirds this summer :*(

@CritterKeeper So sorry to hear that.   We're in the northern burbs of Chicago and we've had them sincee early April.  They came looking for the feeder even before I got it out.... I was in the kitchen and saw one hoovering above one of the spots I always put it.  Out they went!  We have several kinds... the red throated ones, etc. 

I have 2 feeders out and a lot of hanging plants, and a tray for the Orioles close by. The other bird feeders are at the end of my property away from the hummingbird feeders.

Super Contributor

I live in upstate SC, and same here--no hummingbirds. I think they take a different route every year when migrating. Some years, we have lots, and some years, very few or none.

Respected Contributor

Sorry to hear that, @CritterKeeper.  Perhaps it is the rollout of 6G near you, or someone nearby is using certain herbicides.

When I moved from one area of my state (loaded with sparrows) to my current area (where I initially used herbicides for that emerald green lawn look), there were zero sparrows. Two years after stopping herbicide lawn products on my property (my next door neighbor stopped, too), the sparrows suddenly showed up, and now they are everywhere. I love sparrows.  They are so cute! 

Honored Contributor

Here in the Northeast, it's not unusual to experience hummer lulls at your feeder.  In the Spring, there's one after the northward migrating hummers are done passing through and before the residents arrive.  Around now, there's one when they have babies in the nest so the adults are more interested in protein (insects) than nectar.

Valued Contributor

I live in the PNW and our hummingbird population is down this year too.  I think it's because the weather has been so much colder, they just don't fly around as much.  On the few days that it is sunny, I see them, but fewer then earlier years.  Miss having those little critters in my yard.

Respected Contributor

I guess all the Hummers headed to CA because I am doing a turnaway business at my 4 feeders on 4 sides of our house. I fill them at least twice a day and love watching them take a bath in my red fountain. Be sure and keep the sugar water fresh because hot weather gets it funky fast. And NO RED DYE in their food. Tie a red ribbon or get some fake red flowers and tie on to the feeder. They LOVE red.

Fountain that hummingbirds apparently love!! - Page 3 - Friendly Forums

Valued Contributor

I live in PA and we have alot of hummingbirds.

Honored Contributor

I am in southern WV, and per my husband, there are only 2 hummingbirds coming to his feeder; a male and a female.   The last few years he's had 4.    

Respected Contributor

@CritterKeeper Same story for me in SE VA.  I,too, put my feeders out early this year but am not getting any birds.  I have seen one or two go past but they have not stayed to feed.  Bums me out...