New Contributor

Hi there! I moved into a home in December with my two boys, which I am renting until next year sometime(recently divorced). The outside is somewhat of a mess, so clean up has begun. I have a new love of gardening, but not at all familiar(yet), with plants, shrubs, etc. Would you be willing to help me with suggestions? I believe this is ground cover in theae two front porch planters? Would like to make them beautiful! Not sure if i should reaoil them? Thank you!

20180502_084558.jpg1525267081459-680194358.jpg20180502_084711.jpg15252672308081977877403.jpg15252672811561124063055.jpg1525267329685823910530.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Newbie...help with outdoors

@Eightysgirl Since you're a renter I would suggest limiting landscaping to giving the existing shrubs a neat trimming, keeping weeds under control, grass care (seed, fertilize and mow), give the grounds a fresh top soil and mulch.  As for the pots, the groundcover could be removed and transplanted to the ground (where it will really spread and do what it's intended to do).  Being in a pot is stifling the groundcover from reaching its full growth potential.  However, you should ask the owner for permission to do this beforehand, unless you already have an understanding that you will be responsible for landscaping this year.  Red or coral  geraniums with a nice draping vine accent (ivy, sweet potato vine, fucshia autumnale) would brighten up the entryway. 

Honored Contributor

I’m not a gardner but I had two rose bushes planted over the weekend and love them.

Esteemed Contributor

I would do...nothing...until what's there comes to full bloom.  Then you can see what you have and what you might do to improve the area.  I'd dump whatever is in the white pots and buy plants that are taller and have color - pinks, reds - your favorite colors.  Clean up the area - snip the bushes back and wait for Mother Nature to do her thing.  Patience right now.  Perhaps a hanging plant on a tall hook stake in the center of the bushes.  Consider how much sunshine you get in that area.  Mine is on the North side so partial shade is a must for me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Eightysgirl, those shrubs with the stick-like limbs are hydrangeas.  Do not trim or you may be cutting off this year’s flowers.  Let them leaf out and when they are well in leaf, you can remove any canes that are dead looking.

The ground cover in the pots can be fertilized with miracle grow.  Google the flower name for photos of what they look like when they flower.

Other than that, I would just clean up and see what happens to the garden once in bloom. 

Esteemed Contributor

Here's what I learned with various moves---container gardens. I would just clear out the weeks and trim the scrubs, etc. that are there. Add a few containers with annuals or whatever plants you like or look nice to you.  Budget permitting, add a few garden items like a gazing ball or a small collection of garden stautes. (You can find smaller ones, etc. and growup them together in 2's or 3's) in the areas's that look bare. A bird bath is a nice option because it adds some height, takes up some space and is very low maintainence. You can even find these at your local hardware store or big box store. If you need extra color in you yard,then select a glass birdbath. Hope this helps you.    

New Contributor

Thank you all so very much for the wonderful advice!! Your time is appreciated!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The plants in the pots look like cranesbill (hardy geranium).  It's used as a groundcover sometimes and the flowers are nice.  Bless you for taking care of the gardens and landscape at a place you're renting!  I hope the owner will appreciate it.