Honored Contributor

Is there a product that I can spray on the cut ends of sprigs that pop up and grow around my tree? I know they are part of the tree but is very invasive to the surrounding landscape.

thanks

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    You could use a vegetation killer like Roundup but you risk damaging or killing your tree.  Can you pull them up or cut them off with a long knife underground? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   The springs are above ground, and there are a lot of them.. and fairly thick.  I cannot dig because there are also a lot of tree roots.

I am becoming anti tree....we had a tree removed that was harming our drive way, another one that was dirty and our neighbor just had some plumbing issues beacuse of a tree in her yard.

Respected Contributor

Try Bonide Sucker Punch, it's in a spray bottle. I like their products & use the stump killer that's in a bottle with a brush.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @kitcat51   Never heard of that product.

Honored Contributor

There are growth retardants, but might soak into tree roots. 

There's nothing safe to use that wouldn't be harmful to the tree.   Best bet is cutting them off.  

I have them around my magnolia tree.  A real pain.  

Honored Contributor

Suckers need to be dug down to their source & then cut away from the trunk. Or use that product mentioned to get rid of suckers.

Very frustrating when suckers occur. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Thank you @JustJazzmom ....between tree roots and clay soil it will be a huge chore to dig out.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  I had a white rugosa rose that I didn't know was grafted & suckers from the graft started emerging. It was too difficult to even attempt to dig down & remove them. The graft union was failing & I had the shrub rose dug out & I replaced it with an own root rose. 

This isn't the case with your tree. Some trees just sucker, willows come to mind.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼