Super Contributor

New Plants Just Received from Barbara King and Cottage Farms

I am in Zone 9a West Central Florida and have already received some of the plants I ordered from QVC. 

On Thursday, I received the two "Midnight Marvel" Hibiscus from Barbara King.  They are bare root and they are HUGE!  They were packed in a large plastic bag with moist wood shreds.  I did notice a little bit of white moldy looking stuff on them, I assume from being sealed up in that moist bag, but I wiped it off, prepared a completely new bed and planted those yesterday.  Whew, I was pooped!

Late yesterday, UPS delivered the Cottage Farms Green Twister Coneflowers and Shasta Daisies.  I have to say I was very impressed with the quality and condition of the plants I received.  They were well packed in little pots, secured in a special cardboard insert inside the box.  All the pots were in individual plastic bags secured with rubber bands.  The plants are a nice healthy size.  Frankly, these plants look much better than some of the rootbound plants I have bought at big box stores.

The plants were fresh looking and the soil was nice and moist.  One of the Daisy plants even has a large bud already.  I am very happy with them. 

My biggest problem is where to plant everything I ordered.  I always swear I am not going to order anything and then get carried away.  I have already planted my front beds with some annuals and new perennials, so it looks like some new bed digging is in my future for the new Rico Suave Hibiscus, jumbo Calla Lillies, Bee Balm, Knock-Out Rose, Zinnias, etc., etc., etc.

I am trying to prepare for the arrival of all the things I have ordered and have learned from past experience that you need to be prepared to plant things as soon as possible.

Respected Contributor

Re: New Plants Just Received from Barbara King and Cottage Farms

How nice to be able to be out there planting and enjoying the plants now. I envy that, as here in still blustery CT, we are at least two months from that! Happy to hear the quality is good...enjoy!  🌞🌱🌾🌷

Super Contributor

I have always had good luck with Cottage Farms and Roberta's.  This year I ordered Phillipe's sun patiens and Cottage Farms.  I want to see if there is a difference.  I have ordered the sun patiens for years when Phillipe worked for Cottage Farms and they were always beautiful. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm so glad the Hibiscus roots are looking good!

I placed an order for those last month and should be receiving them at the end of this month.  It's my first order from Barbara King and I'm looking forward to it.  I haven't had much luck with Cottage Farms or Roberta's (although I did do well with a few things), but I am hopeful that Barbara's things are better quality.  All of the vendors talk a good game about their products (as they should!), but she seems like she has  top-notch quality from the things she says.  We shall see...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that when you receive plants later in the season, they tend to be older in the pot and may suffer more from warmer temperatures in shipping or it's still too cold to plant due to variances in weather conditions.  That, and I don't think ALL the plants they sell and say will do well in ALL areas is necessarily true.  I'm no expert gardener.  This time, I ordered the Tres Amigo and Green Twister Coneflowers and after googling, I see gardeners. mostly report not having good luck with coneflowers in Florida.  I am going to put the green twisters in pots to see how they do the first year, just in case. Hoping these varieties will stand the test.  AND I ordered the Shasta Daisies and also found it is generally too hot in Florida to grow them other than as an annual in Central Florida.  They are always improving varieties, so we shall see. I'm not too impressed with the guarantees because if a plant fails, I don't want another one next year. 

I ordered the Cottage Farms Sunpatiens one year and put them in pots and they did NOTHING for me.  Others report how well they did and how much they love them.  Someone once said, "Gardening is an experiment" and in my case, that's completely true.  LOL  Mostly, I kill them with kindness.

I am really placing my bets on the Midnight Marvel and Phillip Watson's Daylillies this year, so again, we shall see.  

Good luck with your garden this year!

Respected Contributor

I am waiting on the midnight marvel myself, should be another month before I get them.

Honored Contributor

I ordered the strawberries from Roberta's, I hope I have good luck with them, I have grown strawberries before, but not in a pot. I wasn't going to order from Roberta's because I have not had good results from their plants in the past and I could not contact them for some reason.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LolaMontez   I put all plants that are small upon arrival in pots and let them grow strong.  I keep them in some shade for a bit, then move sun lovers into the sun.

I buy quite a few Cottage Farms plants from zulily, great price, check them out.  I told myself that I wouldn't buy plants this year, but have recently broken that promise, lol, but if I can keep from buying daylilies this year, I will be proud of myself.

Super Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

I'm so glad the Hibiscus roots are looking good!

I placed an order for those last month and should be receiving them at the end of this month.  It's my first order from Barbara King and I'm looking forward to it.  I haven't had much luck with Cottage Farms or Roberta's (although I did do well with a few things), but I am hopeful that Barbara's things are better quality.  All of the vendors talk a good game about their products (as they should!), but she seems like she has  top-notch quality from the things she says.  We shall see...

Just an FYI on the Hibiscus.  I am already seeing little green shoots coming up! Smiley Happy  They've only been planted a week or so.  Remember though, I am in Florida and it is HOT here already.  Been in the 80's every day.  Good luck with yours.