Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor had their yard sprayed and this morning my pond fish are dead......

I would contact the neighbor and let them know what happened.  I would also contact the lawn care company that did the spraying.  It appears there was a chemical in the spray that contributed to the death of your fish.  They should be aware of what happened so they can make other customers and/or neighbors aware of what may happen and advise them accordingly.

I'm sorry you lost your fish. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

Re: Neighbor had their yard sprayed and this morning my pond fish are dead......

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Well, we had a pond company come out and see what might have happened. Our neighbor was out, saw us all by the pond and came over to see what was going on. I explained what happened and she ran back into her house and a few minutes later, her husband came over ...checkbook in hand...apologising profusely. Apparently they found 2 dead birds by their bird feeder.

They were going to contact the lawn care company Monday morning. They are a sweet old couple, I am glad the situation didn't cause any hard feelings...

Thanks for all the great advice...

I'm curious.  Did the lawn care company not assume any responsibility for your dead fish?  If not, why not?  It appears the chemicals they used in spraying were the problem in your loss of fish.  It's nice to see the neighbors assumed some responsibility (i.e., checkbook in hand) but it seems to me the lawn care company should reimburse you too.  Don't they have insurance coverage for this sort of thing? 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Super Contributor

Please contact your neighbors, and the lawn care company. They should reinburse you for cleaning out your pond and re-stocking the fish. I would also get on Facebook and let others in your community know what happened.

It is the reponsibility of the lawn care company to use their products in a safe manner. I am sorry you had this happen. We lost most of our beautiful Koi in a huge  hail storm a couple of years ago. The sudden drop in temperature shocked & killed them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In addition to what Wadzlla said, get the exact name of the lawn company and get on yelp website and complain there too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Absolutely you should say something. And if they're good neighbors, they'll offer to pay for any kind of treatment your water may need and replace the fish, not just inform you the next time they get their lawn treated.

Respected Contributor

I think the matter has been taken care of.

I explained what happened and she ran back into her house and a few minutes later, her husband came over ...checkbook in hand...apologising profusely. Apparently they found 2 dead birds by their bird feeder

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

I am so very sorry for your loss,just heartbreaking.Please contact that lawn company asap. Companies spraying chemicals must be licensed and must supply you with the exact labeling  of chemicals. Fish hav e zero tolerance for chemicals they are absorbed through skin and gills. This company should have supplied the neighbors closest to this property with a. Notice about spraying. Years ago in our company we did lawn care . flags would be placed  all over the area and neighbors given a handout day before. We no 

Longer use any chemicals only natural substances . we no longer treat as well. Too ma ny terrible cases of pet  death and water contamination. We live with a few weeds and pull the rest .I raise big 15\20lb koi. I will not even put anything in my pond to achieve clear clear water. Perhaps even a call to the health dept in your area.   Good luck.. Maryanne

Honored Contributor

Wow, whatever they are using must be really strong to take out your fish and a couple of birds.

I'd press to find out more about the chemicals they sprayed.  What if you had little kids playing in the yard?

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise