Esteemed Contributor

Re: Neighbor had their yard sprayed and this morning my pond fish are dead......

I'm really sorry that most of your fish died.  Koi?  If koi, then they will be expensive to replace.

Also, it sounds as though this may have been organic phosphate poisoning.  I'd definitely contact that company to find out what they sprayed.  Sounds as though you should get your remaining fish out of that water and replace it asap.

Proving negligence may be difficult, but if you have an attorney friend you could run this by, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Neighbor had their yard sprayed and this morning my pond fish are dead......

I'm sorry about the loss of your fish -- but unless it's a big enough loss to justify hiring an attorney, having lab tests done to determine what actually killed the fish and whether it was what the lawn care company sprayed, etc., you won't be able to prove that your neighbor's lawn spray caused your fish to die.  It could have been a disease, temperature changes, contaminants in the water, or other causes.  

Esteemed Contributor

OP,

If you are interested in following up on this, you must take at least two of your dead fish to a verterinarian for a necropsy (animal autopsy) asap.  The necropsy with labs will be able to determine the cause of death of your fish.

Esteemed Contributor

I am sort of surprised by the number of posts that are recommending possible legal action. I do not agree with that at all.

I would mention it to your neighbors since you have a good relationshipp, and ask them to please notify you before they spray again so that you may take the proper precautions to protect your fish.

Respected Contributor

First of all, I am so sorry about your fish.

Please visit your neighbors.  If I was your neighbor I would want to know.  Obviously what ever was used is poisonious to aquatic life and who know what else.  It could be toxic to birds if they eat insects or worms and what about cats/dogs who walk on lawn then lick their paws.  Perhaps the company didn't even make your neighbors aware of this fact.  

Honored Contributor

"The lawn care company should be replacing your fish IMO. If they don't your neighbors should step up. Definitely ask but do so in a manner that helps you prevent a similar incident in future. LM"

It's the lawn care company i'd be contacting. I'd also contact the enforcement division in your city government. This company may have misapplied a chemical or used something they shouldn't.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Find out the name of the lawn company from neighbor and then from the lawn company find out exactly what the chemical was-- don't let them say, it was an insecticide or a fertilizer. Find out which one. Many chemicals as others have said are harmful to aquatic life.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Well, we had a pond company come out and see what might have happened. Our neighbor was out, saw us all by the pond and came over to see what was going on. I explained what happened and she ran back into her house and a few minutes later, her husband came over ...checkbook in hand...apologising profusely. Apparently they found 2 dead birds by their bird feeder.

They were going to contact the lawn care company Monday morning. They are a sweet old couple, I am glad the situation didn't cause any hard feelings...

Thanks for all the great advice...

Respected Contributor

Now those are great neighbors.  Glad it worked out.

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

Well, we had a pond company come out and see what might have happened. Our neighbor was out, saw us all by the pond and came over to see what was going on. I explained what happened and she ran back into her house and a few minutes later, her husband came over ...checkbook in hand...apologising profusely. Apparently they found 2 dead birds by their bird feeder.

They were going to contact the lawn care company Monday morning. They are a sweet old couple, I am glad the situation didn't cause any hard feelings...

Thanks for all the great advice...

Now those are great neighbors.  Glad it worked out.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

So glad it worked out. Good neighbors are gems. I am fortunate to have great ones!