Trusted Contributor

I am hoping some of you expert gardeners will give me some ideas.  I want to replace the mulch that I have and want to replace the bushes that are in front of the house.

I bought this house 1 1/2 years ago.  They had put down red rocks over a barrier so weeds could not grow through the rocks.  I am physically handicapped and use a walker.  When I try to pull weeds, water the flowers, and hook up the hose, etc., walking on the rocks is very difficult as they shift.  I want to put down a mulch that I can walk on without the loss of my balance.  Someone recommended tire chips.  Any advice about those or any other kind of mulch?

In addition, they planted four euyonmous bushes and last year I had to pull the new growth out from under the vinyl siding of the house.  Needless to say, I want to replace those bushes.  I want something that might flower in the spring or turn color in the fall and look nice during the summer.  Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for all your ideas and help.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need some recommendations

The only part of your question(s) I can answer....... is about chips.  When we bought this house - chips were the deal - until we discovered the ants loved to live under them for shade and their nests  Ants everywhere!   We replaced with what you have now - barrier with small stones.  Good Luck

Honored Contributor

I despise mulch, and refuse to let it be put near the foundation of my house, because it is simply a habitat for a variety of bugs and spiders.   For the 35 years we've lived in this house, we have used white gravel that we buy in bags at Lowes, as our weed barrier at the back of our house.   We have azalea bushes back there as well, and I give them a good watering with white vinegar once I see buds.   We don't have many weeds in that area.   

Daylillies are my favorite flowers to plant near the house, because I just plant them and let them spread and do their thing.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss, check out the thread in 'Garden Forum' called Spring Cleanup.  @Carmie is doing some yard renos as well and there are some ideas there.

If you are interested in more input, you should name what zone you are in and what light conditions you have.  Good luck.  LM

PS, just saw your comment on mulch and rocks.  When I did beds in front of my house, I did a two foot strip of pea stone, put in a decorative stone border (wedge stone) to separate it from the planting bed and planted in front of that.  I mulched over the plantings in front.

That protected the house from roots and mulch and allowed water to drain away.

Honored Contributor

Since I live in the land of the xeriscape, I have some experience with stone.  I have a large yard and not a blade of grass.  When I had the backyard landscaped, I had them use crushed stone for the part my dogs spend time on.  It's is very small pieces mixed with the dirt from crushing.  It has packed down and is very easy to walk on (I too have mobility issues).  I once tried to stick a large nail into the dry ground.  It was so hard, I had to use a hammer.  If I want to dig a hole, I have to soak the area first. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, WOW on the nail!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer patio pavers. I think cement provides the surest footing. Everything else seems to attract ants, termites, etc. We have woods surrounding our place and it's an endless battle with trying to keep the outside critters outside. 

Super Contributor

@wismiss - I really like the idea of using crushed stone.  I imagine it would be much easier and safer to walk on using a walker than mulch would be.  At my previous house, crushed stone was used for my main walking paths through the yard. It compacts down over time so it doesn't blow all over in the wind.  It also seemed like there were minimal weeds to tend to compared to when I've had river rock, small pebbles, and especially regular mulch.  

Honored Contributor

Have you considered large pots?   They would give whatever plants you decide on some height.