Respected Contributor

Need help with my hibiscus plant.......

My hibiscus plant is blooming but the leaves are turning yellow and dropping off. I have it in partial sun. I water it and let it dry out a little then water again. I use the Spray & Grow feed on it every other week! Can someone help me.......the plant is in a big pot with good drainage. I am in Southern California. Thank you a head of time. :-)
Honored Contributor

Re: Need help with my hibiscus plant.......

More sun might help. I'd also recommend checking for insects on the undersides of the leaves. You might also be letting it dry out a little too much between waterings. A diluted dose of Miracle Gro in place of the other fertilizer might help.
Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

gardenman....Thank you so much for your reply! I will try your suggestion. Do they like full sun all day?
Regular Contributor

Sounds like it needs more sun and an organjc fertilizer might do a substantial amount of good to keeping a healthier plant to resist insects and disease. Chemical fertilizers feed the plant creating quick but weak growth. This type of growth is not for long term gardening success. Since i have switched to 100% organics i have become a brilliant green thumb...lol...good luck.
Valued Contributor

I keep mine constantly watered and they love the sun..

That's how we roll in the shire..
Respected Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I moved the plant in the sun and watered it. Hope this works........my turtle loves hibiscus flowers and I want this plant to survive!!!! I will get some organic fertilizer on my next visit to my home center! Again thanks everyone!!
Honored Contributor

That always happened to my hibiscus until I came here for help. Although I gave it water, I wasn't giving it enough until I started watering it every day. I also gave it almost full sun on a covered patio. End of problem and I had a beautiful blooming plant.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Yellow leaves on bottom= too much water.

Yellow leaves on top part= not enough water.

I got mine for $12 at grocers. Large 14"". Winter over. Every yr right when spring comes one type goes yellow on me and I wonder why now and worry? I remove and it always perks up.

Trusted Contributor

My hibiscus is very happy in full sun. I keep the soil moist at all times but too much water will turn the leaves yellow.
Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 KittenShopper said:

Yellow leaves on bottom= too much water.

Yellow leaves on top part= not enough water.

I got mine for $12 at grocers. Large 14". Winter over. Every yr right when spring comes one type goes yellow on me and I wonder why now and worry? I remove and it always perks up.

I know that's what the books say but it's not true for hibiscus. The leaves always yellow on the bottom but when you pour water on it, it recovers and new growth comes out with no more yellowing. Once I gave mine enough water, it flourished. I don't think you can over-water them.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment