Respected Contributor

Need advice...blooms very small on Clark rose bush

Most of the roses open to small blooms, maybe slightly larger than a mini bush. Some are average. At one point I asked about rosette disease, or possibly grafted. Overall, I'm not seeing any red, thorny canes, and it's looking pretty healthy. I'm wondering why the blooms are so small, and they'll be an occasional tall cane with tiny leaves, and buds. I'm not too find of this bush, Richard Clark(can't write other name), but since I'm not seeing any disease, or unhealthiness , im trying to work with it. When i first got it , a year ago, the blooms were average, as stated. I have pruned this bush back, and deadhead regularly. It's fertilized, watered, etc. If its grafted, would that cause puny blooms?? Its growing very rounded, and bushy, lots of small buds. Id appreciate advice...thanks!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Need advice...blooms very small on Clark rose bush

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin, what was your summer like last year?  It was very dry here on east Coast Canada.  I am now seeing some of the signs of low precipitation on my plants and shrubs this year.  Some have brown tips, a first for me.  I have way too many gardens to water them all.   I suspect the drought like conditions will be further evidenced as the shrubs and flowers begin to open up.  

Could this  have impacted your garden?  

@JustJazzmom is here frequently.  She is a master gardener and shares her knowledge with us frequently.  LM

Honored Contributor

It could be uneven watering causing the smaller than normal blooms. It's hard to diagnose without a photo of previous blooms vs. current ones.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

I highly recommend a product I purchased two years ago from Gurneys.They are fertilizer pills.  They are good for two years and not expensive.  Good for all plants and shrubs.You can  use them when planting or on established plants.  My roses bloomed like crazy last spring as soon as it warmed up here in upper New York State. Great product !!

Respected Contributor

I was going to suggest a good fertilizer too or rose food.  I just use Miracle Grow on everything.  

Respected Contributor

It's in a very large planter...it gets watered regularly, as well as fertilized along with my other roses, which are doing exceptionally well😁. They all have huge , fragrant blooms. Mr. Lincoln is doing good too now. Lilysmom, I purchased this Clark last fall. We've had an exceptionally dry spell, and we are in drought conditions...but, as I mentioned, my roses are in huge planters, and I water them regularly. It's just this one bush.
Respected Contributor

Thanks...I will try another dose of fertilizer...guess can't hurt.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Most of the roses open to small blooms, maybe slightly larger than a mini bush. Some are average. At one point I asked about rosette disease, or possibly grafted. Overall, I'm not seeing any red, thorny canes, and it's looking pretty healthy. I'm wondering why the blooms are so small, and they'll be an occasional tall cane with tiny leaves, and buds. I'm not too find of this bush, Richard Clark(can't write other name), but since I'm not seeing any disease, or unhealthiness , im trying to work with it. When i first got it , a year ago, the blooms were average, as stated. I have pruned this bush back, and deadhead regularly. It's fertilized, watered, etc. If its grafted, would that cause puny blooms?? Its growing very rounded, and bushy, lots of small buds. Id appreciate advice...thanks!!

@Dazlin  Epsoma rose tone is a good fertilizer, also Cottage Farms.

Respected Contributor

Thank you..I fertilized it and cut off all the small roses...hopefully will give it strength to produce a bit larger bloom.