Valued Contributor

Need advice about planting strawberries

Today I received my replacement strawberry plants from Cottage Farms. As usual, they've shipped them too soon for planting. I wasn't expecting them yet, so I don't have anything to plant them in. I'm looking for some advice as to what kind of planters to get that won't cost too much.

Last year, they were planted in the ground and didn't grow. This year, I thought I'd try to put them in containers, but I don't know what to look for. I'd really like to try putting them in hanging planters, but again, not sure what to get. There are 6 plants of the Sweet Kiss variety. Would greatly appreciate advice on what would be best to buy and where to get the best price. Thanks. (In case it's not already obvious, I know NOTHING about planting anything!)

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need advice about planting strawberries

Highly informative video with narrated instructions and suggestions

https://youtu.be/14urhWAJtHw

very good article with details and photos:

https://www.growveg.com/guides/how-to-grow-strawberries-successfully-in-containers/

Google is your friend! All I did was research “strawberries in containers”. I did not use the word planters, but it might not matter. 

Hope you get some good growing and juicy berries, too. 

Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper wrote:

Today I received my replacement strawberry plants from Cottage Farms. As usual, they've shipped them too soon for planting. I wasn't expecting them yet, so I don't have anything to plant them in. I'm looking for some advice as to what kind of planters to get that won't cost too much.

Last year, they were planted in the ground and didn't grow. This year, I thought I'd try to put them in containers, but I don't know what to look for. I'd really like to try putting them in hanging planters, but again, not sure what to get. There are 6 plants of the Sweet Kiss variety. Would greatly appreciate advice on what would be best to buy and where to get the best price. Thanks. (In case it's not already obvious, I know NOTHING about planting anything!)

@qualityshopper   I use clay pots or the black garden center pots can be used, use these for a lot of plants, and amazon sells them.  My strawberries are Gurney's everbearing, large sweet, juicy strawberries, and I have a few other varieities bought here last year that do fine also.

Occasional Contributor

Watch YT video to learn it easily within few minutes.

Honored Contributor

No matter what you plant them in or where you plant them, the key to planting strawberries is identifying the crown and not planting them too deep, or too shallow. The crown of a strawberry is a short stem-like section with the roots below and the leaves above. In a perfect world, that would be planted so it was halfway above and half below the soil line. Old time growers would plant strawberries quickly by sliding in a garden spade, slide it forward, fan out the strawberry plants' roots, then slide a plant into the slot of soil to the right depth and remove the spade, letting the soil press the plant in place. Proficient planters could easily plant a hundred plants an hour using this technique. Modern small-scale growers are more apt to plant them like asparagus plants, in a hole, atop a cone of soil, spreading out their roots around that cone of soil, then backfilling. As long as you plant them at the right depth, the plants will do fine with any planting technique. You can buy strawberry pots that have holes on the side for planting berries. These can work fairly well, but watering enough so all the plants from top to bottom get enough can be a challenge and for optimal growth the pots should be rotated from time to time so the plants on the shady side get more light.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@qualityshopper 

The preview ad for Aldi's has 21 inch planters for only $12.99.

That is what I will plant them in.

For my area, that ad starts Sunday but for many ppl it seems....their sales start on Weds.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@qualityshopper wrote:

@qualityshopper 

My recommendation is to purchase strawberry plants from your local garden nursery store.

Do not try to plant strawberries in hanging planters.  They will die due to insufficient water.  You can try planting in a large half wine barrel.  Better to plant  them in a large planting bed.    In ground or raised planter boxes.   Use lots of chicken manure. Lots of compost. Plant the crowns high to avoid root rot.  Water deeply and frequently.  

Good planting.  👍🍓🍓

Honored Contributor

Strawberries need plenty of sun so place your container in a good location.  I tried growing strawberries on the deck for a few years and didn't have good luck.  Every time a berry was close to fully-ripened, a bird would nibble on it.  Squirrels must have seen the birds, and then they decided to check out the plant.  I tried using bird netting with mixed results.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Strawberries need plenty of sun so place your container in a good location.  I tried growing strawberries on the deck for a few years and didn't have good luck.  Every time a berry was close to fully-ripened, a bird would nibble on it.  Squirrels must have seen the birds, and then they decided to check out the plant.  I tried using bird netting with mixed results.

I’ve heard of people taking walnuts & painting them red & putting them in the garden to get the birds & squirrels to go elsewhere with some success. 

I’ve seen young blue jays peck at pinkish red rose buds thinking they were fruit (yes, it was hysterical to watch). 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Been busy the last few days and couldn't get back on here until now to check out the answers. Great advice from everyone that I so appreciate. Think I'm going to give up on the idea of putting them in hanging baskets and stick to containers on the ground. And, gardenman, thanks for the info about how deep to plant them--really helpful!. Guess I'll also need to get some kind of netting to keep the birds out of them once they start producing fruit. Hopefully, they will.