Respected Contributor

My dog was sick most of the winter and it was too cold to walk him (Chihuahua/Rat terrier mix).  So I let him use the backyard.  He's also a bit incontinent, so letting him out in the yard was convenient.

Well, Spring is just around the corner --- and I don't think I'll have any growable grass left.

I'd like to do something else besides grow new grass.

Any suggestions?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: Need Yard Suggestions ...

[ Edited ]

White clover,i did this last year,because grubs killed my grass out front.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Well, we in Arizona don't do grass. We do rock yards. But if you must have grass for a puppy just a small patch is what we do. 

Honored Contributor

Most ideas would depend on where in the country you live.  Without having an idea of what your climate is like, it's difficult to suggest anything.  Also the size of your yard and your expectations/limitations for upkeep.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Well, we in Arizona don't do grass. We do rock yards. But if you must have grass for a puppy just a small patch is what we do. 

@Meowingkitty    I have a large backyard, all gravel.  My two dogs get along fine without a single blade of grass.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@Meowingkitty    I have a large backyard, all gravel.  My two dogs get along fine without a single blade of grass.

That sounds wonderful!  I've got a big yard but only partially fenced.

Great idea!

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

@RinaRina    There's some initial expense to gravel but, once done, it works for years to eliminate weeds.  First the ground must be cleaned and leveled.  Then a weed barrier is installed.  The gravel, available in various sizes and colors, is dumped and spread.  You could install a fence in just a part of your yard.  I got metal stakes and 3ft wire fencing at Lowe's and installed it myself to block off part of my yard.  All it took was a smaller sledge hammer to get the stakes into my cement-hard ground.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@RinaRina    There's some initial expense to gravel but, once done, it works for years to eliminate weeds.  First the ground must be cleaned and leveled.  Then a weed barrier is installed.  The gravel, available in various sizes and colors, is dumped and spread.  You could install a fence in just a part of your yard.  I got metal stakes and 3ft wire fencing at Lowe's and installed it myself to block off part of my yard.  All it took was a smaller sledge hammer to get the stakes into my cement-hard ground.

You can also put down pre-emergent for weed control. Pretty much all houses built since the 70's have a 6' fence around them. 

Respected Contributor

I think gravel is hard on dogs' feet.  I'm not a dog but have tried to walk barefoot on gravel. Ouchie!