Trusted Contributor

Need Help with Squirrel Mess

[ Edited ]

We woke up this morning to a huge mess on our patio and table.  We have seen squirrels running through our backyard with large green "nuts " in their mouths.  I think they are nuts.  Anyway, this morning there was a huge mess of what looks like broken shells, I see the green part and dark brown stains on our concrete patio, mesh chairs and table top.  My husband cant get the stains off with the power washer. 

Has anyone ever encountered this?  Any suggestions on what will remove the dark brown marks???

Honored Contributor

Re: Need Help with Squirrel Mess

I would try OxiClean - the powder - mixed with water and use a scrub brush.

Honored Contributor

Could the green "nuts" have been black walnuts?  I don't have any experience with them except to know they stain badly.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I would try OxiClean - the powder - mixed with water and use a scrub brush.

I agree.  I'd mix it with water into a paste and let it sit on the stains for a bit before scrubbing.  It may do most of the work for you.

Respected Contributor

Have you tried spray on clorox, thats if your chairs are white. Also the nuts do indeed sound like walnuts.  I have squirrels, love to watch them, but they have broken 3 hummingbird feeders, so they are pests. Depending on the chairs being a matierial, you can use harsh chemicals on I'd try the clorox, I pretty much use it on everything.

Honored Contributor

Yes, the squirrels have most likely found a walnut tree in your area.   They have opened the green covering and then cracked open the shell to get to the nut inside.   Staining from walnuts shells is very intense, which is why they are used to create a permanent stain for wood furniture, etc.   Wear gloves if you have to actually pick up any parts of the shells.

If you have OxyClean on hand, I would try that, but if it doesn't work immediately, you need to buy something stronger from Lowe's or a hardware store.    

Honored Contributor

It's probably pecans or walnuts. They have a thick green coating before the brown shelled pecan opens up.

Pecans-in-shell.jpg

Nut trees can leave quite a mess with the many pieces that fall and leave different colored stains. Pressure washing is a good way to go, but if it doesn’t work, what is left? Here are a couple of options to try before giving the tree the big good-bye.

You Will Need: 

• Laundry or dishwashing detergent
  • Bleach (diluted with water)
  • Concrete cleaner (available at home improvement stores)
  • Tri-Sodium Phosphate (TSP)
  • Stiff bristled brush or broom
  • Hose or power washer

Steps to Remove the Stains:

1. There are several products that can be used to remove stains from concrete. We’ll go over several different approaches. Choose the one with the materials you have available first, then move on from there until the stain is removed.
  2. In a bucket, mix one part bleach with two parts water.
  3. Apply the bleach mixture to the stained areas and allow it to set for a few minutes.
  4. Scrub the area with a stiff broom or scrub brush, depending on the size of the stains.
  5. Rinse the area thoroughly with a hose or power washer.
  6. If the stains remain, try washing the area with laundry or dish detergent.
  7. Pour the soap directly onto the stains and allow it to soak for a few minutes.
  8. Spray with water and scrub with a brush or broom.
  9. Rinse the area thoroughly with clean water.
  10. TSP is another cleaning agent that works well on tough stains.
  11. Mix one cup of TSP with one gallon of hot water.
  12. Pour it onto the stained area and allow it to set for 15-20 minutes.
  13. Scrub the area and rinse thoroughly with clean water.
  14. There are cleaners specially designed for cleaning concrete which often work better than home cleaning products.
  15. Apply the cleaner according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  16. Once the stain is removed, rinse the area thoroughly and allow it to dry completely.
Esteemed Contributor

This is not an answer to your question but, I think about this time they are starting  to bury their  "find" underground so that when winter weather comes they have enough to eat  .

Depending on where you live......

Honored Contributor

Chestnuts also have green skins.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks Ladies!  Tried the OxiClean and it did not work.  Guess we will have to go to Home Depot and see what we can find!