Trusted Contributor

Need Help/Suggestion for Potted Gardenia

Purchased a potted plant and it was beautiful for 4-5 days.  Nice blooms and dark healthy leaves.  That was 2 weeks ago.  I've tried everything.  Moving it out of direct light, fertilizing, etc.  Every day it gets worse.  First the new blooms turned yellow and died before actually opening.  Now new buds do not even bloom, they turn brown and drop off.  Leaves dropping daily.  I watered according to directions.  Any suggestions before I throw it out.

Frequent Contributor

Re: Need Help/Suggestion for Potted Gardenia

[ Edited ]

This is the first year for my plant.  I found out he loves humid warm air.  Nothing under 60 at night.  I live in Maryland and the days have been warm enogh but not the nights yet.  Currently I have my tree in the bathroom with the light on during the day.  He is thriving there. 

I did find white bugs on the leaves and gave him a good shower and then used neem oil.

I was also told not to move the tree too much they like to be in one place.  Ans they are very picky and hard to grow.

I am using acid fertilizer once a week.

Hope this helps,

Valued Contributor

Those plants are a pain.

So hard to grow.

Like you said, buds that never bloom and if your lucky to get one, don't blink, it will be gone..

I spent more monies in keeping the thing alive than it was worth.

Super Contributor

I have a BIG (6 ft) one I’ve drug in and outside for 15 years. Get that thing outside as soon as you can. They are southern plants, love heat and humidity. I live in Kansas so have to bring him in for winter. As much light as possible, I’ve got it in a south window in a sunroom. It needs good drainage, and lots of water. Bud drop means lack of water. Yellow leaves can mean lack of light. Lots of light, water, humidity, good drainage, and loves hot weather. Mine blooms in the first HOT  week of summer. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I've tried to grow them, since I love these flowers and their scent. I was not successful with anything I did.They are very iffy. Now if I want some fragrant blossoms, I buy a plant with blossoms from Home Depot . I take the blossoms off and put them in the house. I keep it til the plant looks distressed, then I pitch it.But, I still keep hoping with each plant I buy, that maybe it will thrive. Nope, hasn't happened yet, but still I hope.

Honored Contributor

“Gardenia jasminoides (syn. G. grandiflora, G. Florida) is cultivated as a house plant. This species can be difficult to grow because it originated in warm humid tropical areas. It demands high humidity to thrive, and bright (not direct) light. It flourishes in acidic soils with good drainage and thrives on [68-74 F temperatures (20-23 C)][4] during the day and 60 F (15-16 C) in the evening. Potting soilsdeveloped especially for gardenias are available. G. jasminoides grows no larger than 18 inches in height and width when grown indoors. In climates where it can be grown outdoors, it can attain a height of 6 feet. If water touches the flowers, they will turn brown.[5]”

From

Wikipedia

One note: This variety does well with nightime temperatures much higher than 60.

Moe information:https://www.gardenia.net/guide/learn-how-to-grow-and-care-for-your-gardenia

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a really large potted gardenia many years ago and was so happy with it for the first couple of weeks. I love the gardenia and the wonderful floral scent. But - I didn't have the right environment to make it flouish, let alone survive. I watched it drop leaves and buds and finally just gave up, and have never bought one since. They definitely need the right light and a lot of humidity. I wish they weren't even sold in our midwest or northern climates. Good luck to you...I feel your frustration.

Honored Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

Purchased a potted plant and it was beautiful for 4-5 days.  Nice blooms and dark healthy leaves.  That was 2 weeks ago.  I've tried everything.  Moving it out of direct light, fertilizing, etc.  Every day it gets worse.  First the new blooms turned yellow and died before actually opening.  Now new buds do not even bloom, they turn brown and drop off.  Leaves dropping daily.  I watered according to directions.  Any suggestions before I throw it out.

@Equuleus   All of myt gardenias are in pots, and get morning sun.  Do you fertilize them regularly?  Don't let them dry out, but don't overwater.  Our winter weather at night is in the forties, sometimes lower, and they survive well.

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

@Equuleus   All of myt gardenias are in pots, and get morning sun.  Do you fertilize them regularly?  Don't let them dry out, but don't overwater.  Our winter weather at night is in the forties, sometimes lower, and they survive well.

I did use fertilizer as I stated and I've been making sure it's watered but not too much.  I did notice webs with little bugs and I saw this yesterday.  My daughter says they are spider mites.  Know I have to figure out how to get rid of them. 

Honored Contributor

Gardenia are prone to getting spider mites. Once I used Neem oil on a houseplant gardenia & I lost all the leaves! 

It’s not an easy plant to have as a houseplant.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼