Occasional Contributor

NO fruit on Meyer lemon , lime tree

I have had my meyer lemon tree 2 years know. First year I did not expect much as far as lemons producing. I brought it in over the winter cause I live in PA. Brought it out when weather got nice this year. It is on my deck.  Gets light and sun. I have seen flowers where the lemons would be but they drop off. Still have not seen any lemons.Very, very disappointed. And i do feed it. Dont know why I am not seeing any lemons. Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Trusted Contributor

Re: NO fruit on Meyer lemon , lime tree

Amber, I could be all wet, but the same thing was happening to my lemon tree.  I live in upstate NY!  I read a few websites and found that when the tree flowers, take a q-tip and swirl it around the inside of each flower - you will, in effect, be the 'bee' that pollinates each flower.  Well, I tried it and what do you know, it worked!  I had my first harvest of around 9 meyer lemons.  That and regular fertilizer while it's outside.  Once I brought it in, I stopped fertilizing.  Hope this helps.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@amber 15  I have had a Meyer Lemon tree for 5 years and this is the first year there is a lemon on the tree. It is about the size of a ping pong ball right now. Every year I had loads of flowers and some tiny little lemons forming, but they fell off when they were about the size of a 4mm pearl.  It is so frustrating. I live in Georgia so the tree gets plenty of sun.

@Sammijo10  Thank you for posting your idea. I will try that the next time the tree flowers.

My tree has also formed these very nasty spines or thorns. Have your trees done that?

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Trusted Contributor

Yes, Cats, mine has sharp, spiny things on the branches as well.  I assume it's nature's way of protecting the fruit from 'predators' - like birds.  Who knows?!  :-)

Respected Contributor

I live in southwest Florida and can't imagine trying to grow citrus back north. We have a Lisbon lemon tree here in our backyard that produces a good 80-100 lemons a year. Had a peach tree that had fruit one year and then none. It was removed this year. I'd like to find a good orange tree to replace it.

Honored Contributor

It may require fertilizer.

Some fruits need fertilizer sprayed on the blossoms.

Find out what kind of fertilizer is required.

Contributor

I have a Myer lemon tree that I bought from a local nursery. It's doing really good and has 3 lemons on it about the size of  golf balls. I was told to water it with citrus fertilizer== when you stick your finger in the soil up to the 2nd nuckle and it comes out dry it's time to water it. Water until the water comes out of the bottom. Mine is on the deck and sometimes I water it twice a day with the very hot temps we are having. I have a gallon milk jug that I mix the fertilizer in and it is always ready. Lots of info can be found on Youtube too. I've read they will only hold on to fruit that  the branches can hold. Not all blooms will produce fruit and I have had a lot of little fruit fall off.  Myer Lemons all do have thorns too.