Respected Contributor

NO BUDS OR BLOOMS ON DON JUAN??

Growing almost out of control...shoots and canes in every direction.  I've it tired along my fencing as the canes are very long.  I got one flower in spring shortly after I planted it, and absolutely not even one bud since.  It gets morning sun and some throughout the day.  I have 2 other rose bushes along the same path and they are blooming.  They all get the same fertilizer and care...its just this one bush.  So I dont think it needs anything more.

Is this normal for a Don Juan?

Honored Contributor

Re: NO BUDS OR BLOOMS ON DON JUAN??

Helpmefind dot com says Don Juan blooms in flushes through out the season. 

Reasons for decrease in blooms:

Was it planted this year?  Blooms are less in 1st year because in that 1st year they are putting down roots. 

Extreme heat slows blooms on some roses. 

A high nitrogen fertilizer (the 1st number on the bag) is causing plant to put out foliage & stems & not blooms. Blooms are encouraged when the 2nd number (phosphorus) is higher than the first. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Has it bloomed in previous years?  How long has it been planted?  How have you been pruning it, if at all (not a trick question - climbers need only thinning of old canes periodically).  Does it get at least 6 hours of direct sun?🌹

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@sweetbay...I planted it this past spring. No pruning.
@JustJazzmom, I'll check # on my fertilizers. I alternate with Bayers systemic, and miracle gro for Rose's. Only once in a while, fish emulsion, banana peel, eggshells, some coffee ginds. Maybe I shouldn't fertilize till it blooms??
Respected Contributor

Should add, AWFUL HEAT here in Florida, and verrrrry wet and steamy humid. Still dealing with black spot, Don Juan is putting out the most canes and leaves of all my rose bushes. That's about all from him.
Honored Contributor

Stick with the organic stuff like the fish emulsion, banana peels. What are the coffee grounds used for? If its to increase acidity, its better to use sulfur. But aren't soils where you are generally acidic? Check your pH and see if its within 6.2 - 6.5 for optimum benefit of the roses accessing any fertilizer you do put down.

Honored Contributor

I purchased 2 own root roses that were planted this Spring — ‘Francis Meilland’ & ‘Beverly’. What are they doing now? Just sitting there putting out occasional new red growth & no blooms yet. I have been feeding them monthly with a half cup of Espoma Rose Tone & added Epsom salts to them 2 weeks ago. The soil is mulched around them & in addition to rainfall, they get water from the UGS every other day. 

I will be fortunate if I see a bloom on either rose this year. If I do, I consider it a bonus. I’m more concerned with them getting established in their new homes. I know that next year they will reward me with blooms that are fragrant & so far, I haven’t seen any leaf drop or evidence of any fungal disease on either plant. 

Gardening is all about patience. 

Respected Contributor

I saw a slow-down in blooming on my Don Juan when we got our first heat wave this summer, I increased watering and now it's going gangbusters again.  However, this is a ~70 year old plant that has been in it's current location for eight years.  Since yours is brand new, it's growing canes to get established and get as much foliage out there doing photosynthesis as possible, so it can have the energy stored to winter over.   Just train and prune off  the wildest canes, and as the season wanes, odds are it will bloom more.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Helpmefind dot com says Don Juan blooms in flushes through out the season. 

Reasons for decrease in blooms:

Was it planted this year?  Blooms are less in 1st year because in that 1st year they are putting down roots. 

Extreme heat slows blooms on some roses. 

A high nitrogen fertilizer (the 1st number on the bag) is causing plant to put out foliage & stems & not blooms. Blooms are encouraged when the 2nd number (phosphorus) is higher than the first. 

@JustJazzmom...I checked labels on fertilizer.   Yes, middle #, phosphorus is higher.

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Stick with the organic stuff like the fish emulsion, banana peels. What are the coffee grounds used for? If its to increase acidity, its better to use sulfur. But aren't soils where you are generally acidic? Check your pH and see if its within 6.2 - 6.5 for optimum benefit of the roses accessing any fertilizer you do put down.

Yes, seems Rose's like coffee grinds.  I just do it occasionally, very small amount left over from brewing 1 cup.

The soil they are planted in is a mixture of Jungle Growth, and worm castings.  They are in high raised beds (about 3ft high) with roots able to go into our soil, which is sandy, and clay.  

Like I mentioned before, all the roses are planted and treated the same, and doing fine,  and blooming, despite our soggy, hot weather.   Thanks!!