Honored Contributor

Just finished a raised planter so dogs can’t get into it. I’m making a list of herbs I use to cook. 

It seems some herbs require more water while others prefer drier soil. How do I plant them together? Need to build another planter?

Esteemed Contributor

I wouldn't sweat it.........I bought an Aero Garden that works on the air and water system to grow.  No soil at all.  Bare root of 6 plants - parsley - basil - chives, etc.  They all loved the water and (actually) grew too big and not easy keeping up with the production.  I would water your plants all the same - should one look wimpy and wilted.... needing more water......water it twice  a day.  Good Luck

Respected Contributor

Hope you get lots of fresh herbs from your new garden.  I don't know how big your raised bed is but could you put another higher tier in the center to contain the plants that like it drier so the water could drain down to the lower tier with the water lovers?

Trusted Contributor

Re: NEW HERB GARDEN

[ Edited ]

I grow quite a variety of herbs in my kitchen garden and everyone gets the same amount of water and fertilizer. All of my babies seem happy with that treatment and nobody has complained. Smiley Happy

I would recommend planting any woody herbs (sage, thyme, rosemary) with more room around them because depending on your planting zone, they can get large. I also put taller ones toward the back - sage and rosemary can get three or m ore feet tall with maturity (again depending on growing zone) whereas thyme is a spreading ground hugger. 

I also recommend planting mints separately in their own large pots. They spread like crazy and can choke out more tender herbs.

With basils you want to keep pinching blossoms off to make them bushier. 

Have fun, herb gardening is rewarding.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm finding my herbs do better in individual pots.Those who like less sun can be in partial sun areas while others are in full sun and those who like more or less water can be accommodated. For instance basil doesn't like all day Florida summer sun and it likes well drained soil, so it's in a special pot with extra holes to drain and it is in a morning only sun area.And , of course, peppermint just can't control itself and has to have it's own pot, as does oregano. I guess I spoil my herb plants, but they give so much back!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have spearmint and peppermint planted in a area between rocks, they do well in that area, my other herbs i have in either pots,or for my thyme it is planted in a rocky area,it does well.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@Shanus

This spring we planted seven herbs in individual large pots.  We have parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, sage and spearmint.   I water them daily and they get both sun and shade.  They are all doing very well and I've used them a lot in cooking.   I'm happy with this since herbs have gotten so expensive in the grocery store and they are not as fresh as picking them in your back yard.

We used to have spearmint in the ground and it spread like crazy and was hard to get rid of.  I dried mint every year to use mainly in iced tea.

Several years ago I tried planting several herbs in the ground and they did not do well.  So, that's why I tried large pots where I can control the growth.  I'm very pleased with our herb project.

Good luck with your project.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@Shanus

This spring we planted seven herbs in individual large pots.  We have parsley, rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, sage and spearmint.   I water them daily and they get both sun and shade.  They are all doing very well and I've used them a lot in cooking.   I'm happy with this since herbs have gotten so expensive in the grocery store and they are not as fresh as picking them in your back yard.

We used to have spearmint in the ground and it spread like crazy and was hard to get rid of.  I dried mint every year to use mainly in iced tea.

Several years ago I tried planting several herbs in the ground and they did not do well.  So, that's why I tried large pots where I can control the growth.  I'm very pleased with our herb project.

Good luck with your project.

@AnikaBrodie  Thanks. I knew rosemary takes over. We planted that in the front next to sidewalk w/ lavender figuring there’d be a nice fragrance when we sat on the porch...Within months, the rosemary had spread into our shrubbery & we had to pull most of it out. 

Honored Contributor

Rosemary depending on your Hardiness Zone is perennial. It will die if you have a severe winter. 

Oregano is nice as is lemon thyme. Sometimes you can even find the herbs (with their roots in a bag with water) in your produce section of the supermarket. I found my basil that way.

Anything with a square stem are members of the mint family & can get out of hand if not in a pot. Lamium maculatum is a low growing groundcover which is also a member of that family. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I planted my herbs this year in a window box that gets afternoon sun.  They are in individual pots so I can control the water.  So far it seems to be working great - I need to give a couple of them a haircut.