Respected Contributor

Saw a Dove sitting on top of our Staghorn plant...sure enough, eggs.   Idk what's going on here,  but im happy. 

The 5 chickadees fledged ...I cleaned out all the houses today.image000001.jpgj

Honored Contributor

I love doves!  I love to hear them coo, and they seem so peaceful.  We have mourning doves.

I'm glad the chickadees had a successful fledging.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

Hi I know just how you feel. Last yeat the doves biuld a nest in my window boxes.  The next thing I knew 2 eggs were in the nest. The mother sat on them for I don't remember how long  with the male watching over.  When the babies hatched rhey were so cute. The best part was when they were learning how to fly and leave the nest. One of them was so eager but the other one was not so eager. The mother or father pushed them out of the nest and they had no choice but to fly. It was ss fascinating/

Respected Contributor

The male sits during the day, and the female takes the nightshift.   I was totally surprised to see this because it's not really in a sheltered spot, but I assume they know what they're doing.    I've had multiple nests here this year of Bluebirds,  blackcapped chickadees and now the Doves.    As for the hummingbirds, I've never seen so much constant activity on the feeders as this season.   I'm cleaning and filling almost daily,  I have 3 nectar feeders up.  Soooo nice!

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin  

Mourning Doves are my favorite bird.  I once had around fifteen hanging baskets all with nests.  I watched the one in front of the kitchen window build the nest, lay eggs, comings and goings, and the fledging.

They really don't know what they are doing in the strange places they build nests, right in the open, and the scrub jays know it and take the babies.  I rescued the one baby that was left one evening when I was on the deck and heard cacophony and saw a jay at one nest.  I got onto a ladder and got the baby, and kept it in a picnic basket in front of my grow lights over night, then took it to Wildlife Rescue in the morning.  They nest on my property every year as each generation returns to where it was born to begin their families.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl , this is what I'm wondering about...the Staghorn is hanging from a palm tree and there's no overhead protection.   We get strong thunderstorms with heavy rain, and like you said the nest is wide open for other birds to see.  Oh well. 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I saw a picture of a dove nest on a car windshiel in the crevice, lol, can't be more in the open than that.  I wouldn't drive my car until they were born and fledged.