Respected Contributor

I have the best neighbors in the world.

The family who lives next door to us knows I love any kind of flower that comes from bulbs. So out of the goodness of her heart, she gifted me with 50 pink tulip bulbs (everyone knows that one of my favorite colors, especially for flowers, is pink.)

The only catch is that in the midst of this filthy weather (rain and wind) my poor DH is going to have to plant them (I can't), so he's doing about 10 at a time. I can't wait for spring to see them blooming. He's already planted one bunch to fill in a gap in our fence and I think I'm going to have him plant most of them along our front fence (white picket--ok, I'm a little old fashioned). That'll give us something to look at in the spring while everything else is starting to wake up.

IF, that is, the damned squirrels don't eat them!

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten We were talking about the possibility of food shortages when hubby says, "Don't worry.  There's always squirrel!"  

LOL!!!!  I'd love to fry some of the little varmints some days!  They can tear up anything.  

Esteemed Contributor

Squirrels - because of them I gave up on bulb plants decades ago.  50 bulbs are in danger.  Perhaps think of a covering for now and early spring.....like putting down chicken wire (stake in the ground)...or some other material.

Don't want you posting you lost them all.....in the spring.

Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

like putting down chicken wire (stake in the ground)...or some other material.

Don't want you posting you lost them all.....in the spring.T

That's a great idea; if any of the home maintainence stores ever re-open (Washington state has been shut down again) I'll buy a bunch.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten.  We are on lockdown in NM, but hardware stores are considered "essential businesses" and are all open.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

How wonderful to have such kind and generous neighbors.  You are probably a good neighbor as well.

Re the squirrels and other critters, eveyone has got to eat.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  You have very kind neighbors! I wish you best of luck against the squirrels! When I had more energy, I would plant daffodils around my tulips to try to fool the squirrels. It worked for a while. These days the only tulips I have left are the wild tulips. They don't seem to like them.

@Sooner  I love fried squirrel! Not much meat, but the flavor is great. Haven't had any in many years. Nearly as good as pheasant and rabbit.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvzchiz Got to eat........the frustrating thing is squirrels don't eat the bulbs.  They have RADAR sense where bulbs are planted so dig them up - - take a bite (not tasty) and just run off leaving the destroyed bulbs on the ground.

Vividly I recall to this day my husband bringing in the morning paper and told me all my bulbs (pink) were laying on the ground.  That was the last bulb planting for me.

I think I would even lay sheets of weed barrier down first and then wire.  Double Insurance but never guaranteed with squirrels.  Digging is what they do best.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten We were talking about the possibility of food shortages when hubby says, "Don't worry.  There's always squirrel!"  

LOL!!!!  I'd love to fry some of the little varmints some days!  They can tear up anything.  

@Sooner 

Obviously neither of you have 'tasted' squirrel.

The little bit of 'gamy' tasting meat doesn't justify killing an innocent squirrel, IMO, who's only doing what he has to do to survive, even if it means you not having 'pretty flowers' to look at.

Irritating how destructive they can be to bulbs? Yes.

Worthy of being slaughtered for trying to eat to survive?

In my mind no......but that's just me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: My wonderful neighbors

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom 

I'm with you.  We have a wildlife habitat in our yard.  We feed, water, and shelter all who need.

I, too, would never eat any of the critters, but then again I do not eat meat.

Yes, I know that plants have feelings as well,

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet