Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@gardenman , what are the deep violet colored flowers in the long flower box, next to geraniums?  They look very nice, a striking color too.

I also have a Mr. Lincoln,  its about 6ft tall, and I recently pruned it.  It seems to be the strongest looking rose bush I own with thick, thick canes, and keeps on flowering.   My battle here in Florida is the heat and humidity...then the roses get black spot and drop their leaves.  No disease sprays, or any treatments help, so I just let them do their thing and I try to maintain as best as I could.  Spring is best time here for roses.  Enjoy your lovely flowers,  you really put alot into it.

Those are the Crystal Palace Lobelias. They're a favorite of mine. They like cooler weather but do okay in the heat as long as you can give them enough water.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@gardenman ...  That looks BEAUTIFUL !!  I am waiting to see my hydrangea this year ... last year I had lovely full bushes but did not cut back this past fall ...  I'm saying my prayers for another banner season but as they say, stay tuned !!  Enjoy your summer !!

Respected Contributor

@gardenman , looking good!  Love the pretty boxes.  Your home will be postcard pretty with full blooms.  

I want you to come and do an irrigation system for me...on two acres☺️.  S

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@gardenman , looking good!  Love the pretty boxes.  Your home will be postcard pretty with full blooms.  

I want you to come and do an irrigation system for me...on two acres☺️.  S

Two acres is a lot to irrigate. You do have an advantage though living on a lake. It's kind of like a giant, natural rain barrel full of water you can use (well, might be able to use depending on local regulations) to irrigate your plants. Many farmers create irrigation ponds to water their fields and a lake is pretty much a natural irrigation pond if the local authorities allow you to use the water. 

Drip irrigation (what I use on my railing planters, hanging baskets, and assorted plants on the porch) is pretty easy to set up. I have my feed line coming up on one side of the porch to the level of the railing, then I put a tee-fitting in to split it in half. One half goes up to the ceiling level and runs around the porch to water the hanging baskets, while the other half runs around on the inside of the porch railing to water the railing planters and plants on the porch floor. Both lines then meet up on the far side of the porch forming a giant loop of water that keeps everything more or less equally pressurized. Here's a photo of how that looks from the inside of the porch. The tubing will eventually get painted white the next time I paint the porch to help it all disappear. On the right of the photo you can see a line going up a post. That's the doorway of the porch. The lower loop goes up and then down on the other side back to railing height and around that side of the porch until it meets up with the upper loop at the opposite corner of the porch.

IMG_20210519_071521460_HDR modified.jpg

The big boxes on either side of the porch take advantage of the flood table type technology. Flood tables are neat in that the plants are held in a table with a raised border and when the plants need watering a pump simply fills the table with water and the plants sit there in it, getting watered from the bottom until they're satisfied and then the water gets drained and stored for reuse. I first saw that used thirty or forty years ago when my mother and I went to a specialty African Violet grower. (Tinari Greenhouses.) African Violets don't like water on their foliage and a flood table is an ideal way to water them. Watering can be completely automated using flood tables so it's a very cost-effective way to water lots of plants.

My two big boxes are simply flood tables built into a long planter box. They have a low end by the pump and a high end on the opposite side. At eight every morning during the growing season the pump comes on and pumps water up from the two connected 110-gallon stock tanks into the low side of the boxes. The boxes slowly fill until the far side, the high side gets about an inch deep, then the water overflows back into the stock tank on that side. The plants in those boxes are all in four-inch pots and sitting atop homemade capillary matting. (Sheets of craft felt covered with a thin layer of quilt batting.) At 8:30 AM the pump shuts off and the water drains back out through the pump line draining the boxes and the water goes back into the stock tanks to be reused the next day.

A big advantage of reusing the water is most of the fertilizer used in modern potting mixes is water-soluble. When watered traditionally, much of that fertilizer just gets washed away. With this method, the fertilizer stays in the water that then gets reused so the fertilizer stays available to the plants and doesn't just get washed away and lost. 

With this system, I'm pretty much reduced to just being an observer. The drip emitters can get a bit quirky from time to time so I tend to go out around eight in the morning when everything starts up to water the plants that aren't watered automatically and check to be sure the emitters are working okay. It's a good system though and handy for me as if I end up in the hospital again anytime during the summer, it'll take care of itself and water the plants until I get back home. I like to overwater each hanging basket each morning so water is dripping from each basket and they're saturated. It takes about twenty minutes for the drip emitters to get that done. In the really hot days of summer when the baskets are fully mature and need more water, I'll often go out later in the day and manually run the drip system for ten minutes or so. The timer I use for it has a manual override which is handy. It can also be set to water them twice a day, but only at a 12-hour interval which isn't ideal. The plants on hot days need more water around three or four and not eight at night. I may invest in a different timer later on that has more adjustability, but this works for now. They have some now that are Alexa enabled which is kind of neat. "Alexa, water the plants." 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Can I come sit on your porch?  Beautiful!

Esteemed Contributor

Made my day seeing this. So nice.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

You did amazing @gardenman  It looks absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see when they take off. 

Respected Contributor

@gardenman , I'm looking for the Crystal palace lobelia that you have, but im seeing different varieties,  like Glade, or Glaze.   Is there a difference?   I'm in Central Florida,  maybe they don't carry yours here?   Also, very expensive in a hanging pot.  Can you let me know what is the difference in the names...color intensity??  Your look full too...im not seeing that here, but I only looked online so far.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@gardenman , I'm looking for the Crystal palace lobelia that you have, but im seeing different varieties,  like Glade, or Glaze.   Is there a difference?   I'm in Central Florida,  maybe they don't carry yours here?   Also, very expensive in a hanging pot.  Can you let me know what is the difference in the names...color intensity??  Your look full too...im not seeing that here, but I only looked online so far.

The lobelia varieties I've grown are Crystal Palace and Fountain. The folks at Proven Winners have a variety called Laguna that looks like the fountain series. It might be too hot in central Florida for them to do well. They prefer it a bit cooler but will tolerate the heat if they're kept well watered. They're very cold tolerant. If you Google/Bing "Lobelia Crystal Palace" you'll find lots of information out about them.

I buy the seeds and grow them from seed. You get a lot of seeds in a pack of seeds as the seeds are very, very small and dust-like. Five to ten thousand seeds in a pack are not uncommon. They grow pretty quickly from seed. I've grown them for decades now. I first learned of them many years ago when my mom bought a hanging basket of them. That basket did very well so I've grown them ever since. I'd have had more of them this year, but my geraniums grew so fast they crowded out some of the lobelias. 

I'd never heard of Glade or Glaze as a lobelia variety but a quick Google search shows that they're lobelia glandulosa a native wildflower in Florida. The Crystal Palace lobelia are lobelia erinus. If you Google "Proven Winners Lobelia Laguna" it should bring you to the Proven Winner page for them and on there they have a spot where you can enter your zip code to see if they're available where you live. (They aren't available here according to their website.)

Lobelia Crystal Palace is a staple flower for me. I grow them every year. The seeds are cheap and readily available and they have no disease or insect pest issues. They don't need deadheading and flower pretty much all season long. They're pretty much a perfect plant for me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman , thank you so much for info...ill look into more of what you said, maybe reconsider because of the heat and high humidity here.  Forecast for next week is over 97 degrees 😓