Honored Contributor

So here it is, sorry it's sideways.    The inside bottom is not the bottom, it's a flat piece to lay on the bottom for water drainage.   See the little leaf?    It's a long "float" placed in that tube inserted all the way into the bottom.   A sort of gauge to determine if the planter is dry or needs water.   If there's plenty of water, it will float up.     This has been a chore!    It's on my back deck.   I have some dirt, I'll start filling it tomorrow and my goal is to plant my lettuce seeds before the sun goes down.    The drain plug is a soft rubbery material that you just pull on to allow water to come out but it doesn't actually come out so you never lose it.   Just pull on it and the water releases.

planter1.jpg

Honored Contributor

@softwarewrote:

I do not have a green thumb.

For the past few summers, I've tried to duplicate my late husband's garden to a complete failure.

I was going to try a raised bed in the back yard but I decided on this planter.   It's deep so I can plant more than just herbs or flowers.   I've picked out a couple of container tomatoes - Early Girl and Better Boy.    Label says good for a container.

I also have some seeds for leaf lettuce.   The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend, I'll assemble it, start loading it up with soil.

It's the Keter brand, at Sam's Club.   Wanted one last summer but never pulled the trigger.

planter.jpg

@software  If the tomatoes you chose are too large for this container, next time try patio vegetables, tomatoes, eggplant, strawberries, etc.  Usually, tomatoes need a deep wide container, unless patio type, but good luck, hope they grow well for you.

Honored Contributor

This planter is about 15" deep.  

Many of the other patio type planter are too shallow for tomatoes.

And yes, I am seeking out varieties for container gardening.

it's an experiment.   It was either this or a raised bed in my yard.

Thanks for the pointers.

@mousiegirl

Honored Contributor

Re: My new planter

[ Edited ]

@softwarewrote:

This planter is about 15" deep.  

Many of the other patio type planter are too shallow for tomatoes.

And yes, I am seeking out varieties for container gardening.

it's an experiment.   It was either this or a raised bed in my yard.

Thanks for the pointers.

@mousiegirl

@software   Please post your results.  My tomatoes grow over six feet tall and I have them in enormous pots, the size that trees are found in at a garden center.  Plant the tomato plant up to the lower leaves on the stem so no stem is showing at the bottom, this will produce a stronger plant. Smiley Happy

"

Depth to Plant Tomatoes in a Planter Box

Choosing dwarf or semi-dwarf tomato cultivars allows you to grow a miniature tomato garden.

Seedling Planting

Many gardeners prefer to purchase tomato seedlings, or grow them in separate flats from seed, before planting them in the main planter box. In these cases, the transplanting process requires the plant to be placed into a hole so that the roots and stem are completely covered; leaves and limbs extend directly above the hole, which is filled with potting mix. In fact, contrary to most planting techniques, tomato plants should be buried so only about one-third of the plant is visible above the soil line. This planting strategy provides a solid base for the tomato plant to grow upward and the roots to grow downward, even spreading new roots from the stem portion that remains within the soil.

Planter Box Dimensions

Typical planter boxes tend to be extremely wide, but not deep. Once tomato plants are positioned within the growing medium, they must have a minimum 12-inch depth beneath them for healthy root growth. Depending on the cultivar, tomato plants grow upward to approximately 3 feet; their deep root structures mirror their height so that they can support the weight above. Preferably, an 18-inch deep planter box should be used to hold a healthy tomato plant, depending on the variety. These heavy planters should be placed on a patio floor or sturdy table.

Vine Support

Metal mesh cages commonly surround the tomato plant as it grows from its properly positioned area in the growing medium; vines become heavy from growing fruits and extending foliage. If you follow the correct planting depth for tomatoes in the planter box, the plant should not have any issues with tipping over from its heavy top weight. Between a supportive cage and a healthy, deep root system, tomato plants may remain within the same planter box for their entire life span.

Valued Contributor

@software, that is a very attractive planter.  

Here is one I made last year of cedar.  My tomatoes didn’t work...got two tomatoes off two plants...and planter is 16” deep.  It’s about five ft. long.

05DB8FC6-3939-4371-9BA8-2D66FF6D15D2.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: My new planter

[ Edited ]

I'm sorry your tomatoes didn't work.

I've seen tomatoes hanging in a plastic sack on people's deck.

Surely if they can grow, I can grow

What will you put in your planter this summer?

You did an outstanding job, it's beautiful

@JGalt

Valued Contributor

Thank you, @software.  

Maybe this year I will stick with herbs.  It’s very hot and sunny here in Texas and my tomato plants grow and blossom, but produce little and then some worm type creatures invade.  Too bad because I love fresh tomatoes. I just have to buy them at the local Farmers Market.

I took up woodworking about three years ago, but have only made a few pieces: 4 benches, shelves in the house, cabinet in bathroom. The nicest are the planter and a good sized table for outside for my portable gas grill, with a shelf for the propane tank.

I love woodworking, but I don’t have a clue what I’m doing. It took me almost a month to make the planter...spent most of my time watching YouTube videos on how to do things, lol.  I need a lot of encouragement because I’m old and my body has major aches and pains or I would be producing more. A few people have asked me to make things to sell to them, but my work is actually poor quality if you look up close, so I wouldn’t ask for payment.

May I brag on one more piece?  I’m proud of my accomplishments because I’m alone with no help and no one to show me how to do things. I don’t seem to have a photo showing this “Leopold Bench” completed/stained.  This bench looked so easy, but challenged me with the angles.

DFD903D8-60FB-4C70-AE12-AD99F5655064.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Love your bench, you are living my dream life.   I am alone too, inherited all my late husbands tools, both hand tools and power tools and I'd like to become a bit more creative when I retire later this year.

@JGalt

Valued Contributor

@software, I’m thrilled for you.  You will do it.  Start watching all those videos now for inspiration.  I looked for inspiration from women woodworkers who have blogs. Ana-white.com is great.  I don’t have the equipment she has so my work isn’t finely finished (like nice indoor furniture).  

Everything I’ve made has been my own design because I wanted a certain piece to fit into a specific spot...except for the Leopold Bench which I found on a few websites.  It’s amazingly comfortable.  I may make a second one.  Although by the way, wood is REALLY expensive. That Leopold cost about $100 to make.

Honored Contributor

Here's the same planter, full of dirt.

2 tomato plants and lettuce

I didn't think I thinned the lettuce properly, not sure what I will end up with.

The tomato plant closest to the lettuce is an heirloom plant given to me by a family member.   It went through some cold weather and one frost but it's coming back.

The other tomato plant is "Better Bush", a bush tomato.

I'm sure it will all go crazy and become a jungle, as long as I get some fruit, I'll manage it.   This picture was taken May 3

@JGalt

@mousiegirl

garden may 3 2018.jpg