Honored Contributor

I have a notoriously BLACK thumb, so I was especially delighted when this year, I planted 4 different colors of miniature roses in a a large round planter in front yard, patiently kept the beetles away from them, watered them daily, fed them, and finally was rewarded by seein them totally covered by dime sized, beautiful little blooms.

THIS MORNING? I go out for the newspaper, planning to make my first-of-the-day inspection?

EVERY SINGLE BLOOMIN' ROSE IS GONE!

Deer? Bear? Squirrels? Foxes? Sigh..... Too late I'm afraid for them to bloom again before our first frost.

Next year? I'm considering solar light up daisies....

Respected Contributor

Re: My morning surprise…..

Sorry, after all your care and attention----must be a disappointment.

Honored Contributor

Aw, so sorry @violann,😕l know that is disappointing after all that  love and care!

On the other hand -solar light up daisies😅-can't be all bad right?!

and no maintenance. I don't think deers like the taste of those!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

SO very sorry.

Try growing flowers in a pot in front of a window which you can enjoy a long time.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Ah! I'm sorry, too, @violann ! It could be any hungry critter...deer? gopher?

'Twas like that for me when I lovingly planted crocus bulbs in the fall and patiently waited for months. Shoots were popping up in late winter, promising the most lovely flowers. Came out one day and poof! They were all gone! Every single last one of them.

My neighbor's cherry trees can't get an edge, either. All that's left are sticks with no leaves. I know it's the deer that keep eating the leaves.

Maybe an ultrasonic pest repellent would help?

Respected Contributor

@violann That is so mean!!

Your roses sound so beautiful! Did you get a picture?

I also have a black thumb & I have nursed plants like you did.

One year it was tomato plants. I loved & cared for them. Sun, water, fertilizer...they were growing so beautifully. The next morning. Naked sticks. Those big gross worms stripped them!

One year I planted so many gorgeous pots of flowers on my upper deck, outside my dining room. I was so happy! 

Raccoons climbed up & dug them all up & threw them all over. It was a massacre. I cried so hard! 

Last week I spent an evening trimming my portulacas (From QVC) & planting them to propagate. Squirrel massacre! Every. Single. One. 

Nature is cruel. 

So solar light up daisies may be selling out!

Esteemed Contributor

I often say I am great with fauna but deadly with flora. I look at plants and they die. When we built our home, I decided to try gardening, after multiple failures in the past. Our home is in the woods, mostly in shade, so I planted impatiens all around the house. I was so proud of myself until the next morning, when all the flowers had been eaten. From that day on, I bought hanging baskets to place high up on my front porch every summer. It works.

Respected Contributor

I also was hoping you had gotten a photo.  How frustrating. 

Respected Contributor

And, to answer myself, my grandsons & I retrimmed my portulaca, replanted my 2 pots to grow the little "progagates" & I have been bringing them inside every night. Taking them out during the day.

I just went out to give them some water & those squirrels *%&*$#+ were digging them up   just since I put them out this morning!

Now the pots are up on the deck & I will haul water to them & hopefully get them to grow.

They have not bothered the full planter of portulacas at all!

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

I have a notoriously BLACK thumb, so I was especially delighted when this year, I planted 4 different colors of miniature roses in a a large round planter in front yard, patiently kept the beetles away from them, watered them daily, fed them, and finally was rewarded by seein them totally covered by dime sized, beautiful little blooms.

THIS MORNING? I go out for the newspaper, planning to make my first-of-the-day inspection?

EVERY SINGLE BLOOMIN' ROSE IS GONE!

Deer? Bear? Squirrels? Foxes? Sigh..... Too late I'm afraid for them to bloom again before our first frost.

Next year? I'm considering solar light up daisies....

@violann   Rabbits eat mine, probably rats also.  I drape wire over them so they can recover and they do.