Respected Contributor

I'm so glad I didn't chop it down this spring. I haven't seen much growth on it this spring but my DH just went out and measured it; at 5'3", it's almost as tall as I am Woman Very Happy

And the big one, which is about 2 years older, is up to 12'11"; it's grown a foot in the last year.

It doesn't take much to make me happy and now I'm a happy camper!

I might add that this really rejoices me because my side yard is gradually turning into a jungle. I have a bad back, bad knees, etc., so I can't get out there and tidy it up. The next time I look at it, I'll just squint  ;-)

Respected Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Do you know if you have 2 male gingko's, or 2 females, or one of each.   Clue: the dropped flower pods will smell to high heaven... a very unpleasant one at that !  ( Think around September-October.)

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

@jlkz wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten 

Do you know if you have 2 male gingko's, or 2 females, or one of each.   Clue: the dropped flower pods will smell to high heaven... a very unpleasant one at that !  ( Think around September-October.)

I'm know my big one is male because it doesn't have those stinky pods and I'm a little disappointed because I have a neighbor who is very unpleasant and it would give me great pleasure to give them a slightly stinky dose of their own medicine (yes, I'm awful I know Woman Wink)

I'm pretty sure the little one is male too. As far as I know, there aren't any nurseries around here (the Seattle suburbs) that sell female ones. It's probably for the best because of people like me hee hee!

Honored Contributor

I got to see a female ginko at Monticello in VA. You did have to be careful where you stepped (especially with sandals on).

Most sold in the nursery industry are male clones. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼