Honored Contributor

Re: My garden is toast...literally

Eek! @Carmie I saw on the TV that Hersheypark in Hershey is closed for a 2nd day in a row due to the flooding!  

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I agree with not watering the lawn.  But allowing garden perennials and shrubs to die seems like a waste.  Water them deeply twice a week and they'll be fine.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie:

That picture, and what we see on the news is awful.  The weather has been terrible for both coasts, and yucky in between!

Super Contributor

Wow, on the Oregon Coast we are always hovering around 54 with a projected summer  high of 63. I'd love to have sun that actually sends out heat, toasting heat sounds divine. After morning fog, we get a round, white orb in the sky that mimics a sun but has only light, no heat....and cool wind. 

I spent most of my life in California, so I do know hot summers. I miss summer.

Enjoy your seasonsMan Happy

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

@Carmie:

That picture, and what we see on the news is awful.  The weather has been terrible for both coasts, and yucky in between!

That picture is from a neighborhood in Hershey.  It is not the worst I have seen so far though.  Some areas have fast moving water polluted with all kinds of branches, back yard sheds and even large metal dumpsters.  Many cars have been flooded and tossed around by moving water.

Our local weatherman said yesterday that the state of PA has more waterways than any other state...I didn't know that.  I do know we have floods here often. 

i do not live where I need to be wary of flooding water.  I am high on a hill...a location chosen for that reason.

Esteemed Contributor

What ever happened to ‘normal’ weather????  Droughts are bad but floods are ruinous.  LM

Honored Contributor

If you think about, the weather has not been what used to be called seasonal, the last 3 years. We literally have had only about  8 or 9 weeks of summer in the last 3 years where I live. We have had rain off and on the past couple of days, hard down pours at times, thank goodness no flooding so far. If this weather goes on for another week my tomatoes will burst and what's left of the rest of my planting will rot. Looks like no extra cash from the farm stand this season.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I could always count on rain on or near the 4th of July in the Puget Sound, but not anymore. My lawn is toast. Trying to water the flowering shrubs. I DO enjoy the sun, but it has brought uninvited guests. Pest control came out yesterday and dug a wasp nest out of the ground and sprayed for wasps trying to enter around a basement window. The sugar ants are invaiding, too.

Honored Contributor

We have a few neighbors that use a lawn service and they cut it too short and too often so for most of the summer they have a brown, burnt lawn.

This past week of wet weather has brought them all back to green.

Honored Contributor

We heard from friends in Pa that our campground in Pa has been flooded.