Respected Contributor

My garden is drowning...BUT...

I live in the pnw and we've had so much rain lately that I think that my gardening efforts this year are going to end in failure. Even things that are easy to grow, like pansies and nasturtiums, are lying in limp little puddles.

But I got a real thrill yesterday afternoon as I was looking out my bedroom window. I saw a bird that's supposed to be pretty common up here--a rufous-sided towhee. I've seen photographs of it but IRL they're brilliantly colored. I'm going to keep looking for this one--it's gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

Re: My garden is drowning...BUT...

Things are starting to turn brown here in central Wisconsin. An all day rain would help us. Hope your plants are able to bounce back.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The towhee is indeed a beauty!  I haven't seen them lately but I'm always delighted when I do.

My gardens are in forested and open wetlands areas, anyway (there are some dry spots, just not most of it) so much of what I grow is adapted to rainy seasons. The area here is known for its aquifers, and the old neighborhood was not graded to death so there's lots of natural terrain.

It may be getting a little hot for pansies and nasturtiums, anyway, unless you are way north of me (VA).  Hope things turn around soon for you!  There's still time to replant and I've found some good stuff on sale locally.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

The towhee is indeed a beauty!  I haven't seen them lately but I'm always delighted when I do.

It may be getting a little hot for pansies and nasturtiums, anyway, unless you are way north of me (VA).  Hope things turn around soon for you!  There's still time to replant and I've found some good stuff on sale locally.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in the suburbs of Seattle and have had an abnormally cool spring so most of my plants have been hanging in there pretty well. We had an extended cloudburst yesterday but the weather is supposed to dry out and warm up soon, so maybe my plantings will survive after all.

Honored Contributor

My weather here in South Jersey has been quirky. A cooler than normal winter and early spring. Relatively little snow in the winter, but lots of rain. I was able to sneak some plants out before the normal last frost date, but then we had three-plus weeks with no rain at all here locally. It was raining all around us, but not here. This past week was pretty rainy and things are back on track. It looks like we've got three or four sunny days and then a rainy day for the foreseeable future if you can believe the forecasts. (And you can't believe the forecasts.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

So far this year we haven't had exteded days of rain or no rain. The last 2 years we had hot with no rain the entire month of July. I was out there watering every day, sometimes twice in a day.

About 5 years ago....my backyard looked like a lake. Rained every day

We are at the mercy of Mother Nature.