Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

Your roses are (as always) beautiful.  Ours are still budding with a few blooms, here and there.  The last fews days and nights have been warm so Mother Nature is now rushing the blooms along.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@mousiegirl

Your roses are (as always) beautiful.  Ours are still budding with a few blooms, here and there.  The last fews days and nights have been warm so Mother Nature is now rushing the blooms along.

@lulu2  I am still waiting for a few slowpokes. Smiley Happy  My Daylilies have fat buds, and some are already blooming.  My Irises were duds this year, not nearly as many bloomed as I thought would, but maybe they are late bloomers.  

What is shocking me this year is that many Asters are blooming, usually don't bloom until July or August, and I have no clue as to why this is happening.  Usually, in Fall, they all bloom for an explosive display.  Do you have any?

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@mousiegirl

@lulu2  I am still waiting for a few slowpokes. Smiley Happy  My Daylilies have fat buds, and some are already blooming.  My Irises were duds this year, not nearly as many bloomed as I thought would, but maybe they are late bloomers.  

What is shocking me this year is that many Asters are blooming, usually don't bloom until July or August, and I have no clue as to why this is happening.  Usually, in Fall, they all bloom for an explosive display.  Do you have any?

Our Irises are beautiful this year.  Traditionally they always bloomed around Memorial Day.  As children we carried Irises or peonies in the  MD parade to put on the soldiers' graves.  The last few years both were bloomed out by MD. 

We've had an exceptionally cool spring (in NJ) so things are slow this year.  Our peonies are still budding, although some are quite large.

As for asters; I have a lot of old mums and few asters.  I always get some blooms early summer. (they continue throughout the summer and into fall) 

My day lilies have a long way to go before flowering.

Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lulu2 wrote:

@mousiegirl

Our Irises are beautiful this year.  Traditionally they always bloomed around Memorial Day.  As children we carried Irises or peonies in the  MD parade to put on the soldiers' graves.  The last few years both were bloomed out by MD. 

We've had an exceptionally cool spring (in NJ) so things are slow this year.  Our peonies are still budding, although some are quite large.

As for asters; I have a lot of old mums and few asters.  I always get some blooms early summer. (they continue throughout the summer and into fall) 

My day lilies have a long way to go before flowering.

@lulu2 The parade sounds wonderful, and I would have swooned at the floewrs. Smiley Happy

I was first introduced to peonies watching the old Martha Stewart show from her home, and I had never seen any flower so gorgeous!  Of course, she grew the doubles, which can't be grown here unless they are early, and they usually are not,  as it gets too warm too quickly, so only can grow the boring peonies, either early Spring or singles.  I did mange to grow quite a lot many years ago, but due to neglect, they disappeared.  I now grow tree peonies, or am trying as I bought two of Roberta's, so expect blooms in the next few years.

One of the wonderful aspects of the hardy Asters is that they multiply, so can be divided and placed elsewhere, a lot of bang for one's buck, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@lulu2 The parade sounds wonderful, and I would have swooned at the floewrs. Smiley Happy

I was first introduced to peonies watching the old Martha Stewart show from her home, and I had never seen any flower so gorgeous!  Of course, she grew the doubles, which can't be grown here unless they are early, and they usually are not,  as it gets too warm too quickly, so only can grow the boring peonies, either early Spring or singles.  I did mange to grow quite a lot many years ago, but due to neglect, they disappeared.  I now grow tree peonies, or am trying as I bought two of Roberta's, so expect blooms in the next few years.

One of the wonderful aspects of the hardy Asters is that they multiply, so can be divided and placed elsewhere, a lot of bang for one's buck, lol.

@mousiegirl

The older peonies smelled heavenly but attracted BIG ants.  I remember pulling all of them off the flowers before we made our bouquets.  Inevitably a few ants remained and part way through the parade, a fellow Brownie would freak out when she saw one. (or felt one crawling on her)  The newer varieties are not heavily scented but do not get all the ants on them.

Peonies are gorgeous!

Honored Contributor

I have some of the Japanese shaped flower peonies and all are fragrant -- Port Royale, Cora Stubbs, Fancy Nancy and White Cap. My Bowl of Beauty has buds but hasn't opened yet.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@lulu2 wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@mousiegirl

The older peonies smelled heavenly but attracted BIG ants.  I remember pulling all of them off the flowers before we made our bouquets.  Inevitably a few ants remained and part way through the parade, a fellow Brownie would freak out when she saw one. (or felt one crawling on her)  The newer varieties are not heavily scented but do not get all the ants on them.

Peonies are gorgeous!

@lulu2  Re ants, we get armies every year.  This year I will be using dried lavender to see if it works, read that it does, but nothing else does short of drowning which I have to do.  This used to bother me as I am a critter lover, but when they get into the house, that is where I draw the line.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom  I just heard from Cottage Farms, but the identification she made of the roses I have is not correct.  I looked up pictures, and the rose they identified it as is red and single petaled, nothing like mine.  I don't know why they could not see from my pictures that Miracle on the Hudson was not my rose, so if they can't identify the rose they sent, that is pretty bad.

Honored Contributor

SMH sorry to read that @mousiegirl.

Do you remember the year you bought it? Maybe they can look at their online catalog for that year to narrow it down.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

SMH sorry to read that @mousiegirl.

Do you remember the year you bought it? Maybe they can look at their online catalog for that year to narrow it down.

@JustJazzmom  I bought a set of three Passionate Kisses here, two sets in fact, and these are what arrived, the other set were duds so tossed them, didn't know what they were either.  Just received another email, unbelievable, after telling them that I had ordered Passionate Kisses last year here and received these roses instead, they said that this rose is Passionate Kisses, to which I replied, they are NOT, those are pink, not deep red/coral and quartered as mine are.  They didn't even know their roses, crazy.  I will check their site next year to see if this rose pops up.

Heirloom doesn't kniow much about their roses either, having sent me incorrect roses and could not identify what they did send after viewing the pictures.