Honored Contributor

Irish HopeDSCF8499.JPG

Honored Contributor

This rose is growing on a long cane from a cane of Iceberg, which is a grown on own root rose, so am wondering how this could happen, maybe a sport of Iceberg?  I am going to email Heirloom Roses and send pictures to see if there is an answer.  If it is a sport, I would love to grow it separately, but this would mean cuting the branch and trying to root it, not an expert as this.

DSCF8505.JPG

Honored Contributor

Definitely ask them at Heirloom Roses; also see if its possible to propagate by layering-- bending the cane towards the ground and using some sort of device (a rock, brick or those landscape clamps) to hold the cane in place till it eventually roots and then you can remove it to plant separately.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Definitely ask them at Heirloom Roses; also see if its possible to propagate by layering-- bending the cane towards the ground and using some sort of device (a rock, brick or those landscape clamps) to hold the cane in place till it eventually roots and then you can remove it to plant separately.

Good idea re layering, Jazzmom.  I have bent canes and anchored them to get more blooms and to solve the huge arching canes issue on some bushes, read about cuttings, etc., but the layering method could work since the rose is on it's own roots.

Heirloom does not have all the answers on the roses they sell, unfortunately, as I have had to notify them that the description of a particular rose had nothing to do with the rose I received, and they had two entirely different pictures of roses on the page, one obviously not fitting the description listed, so was sent a freebie, and was told the pictures would be removed, but they have not been.  In case you want to view the page, it is White Meidiland.

Honored Contributor

So a white rose is putting out a pink flowered cane?? WOW!

I just looked over at Help Me Find on their website of the parentage of

"White Meidiland'.

Parents are 'Temple Bells'' & 'Coppelia 76'.

Looks like you have a REVERSION back to one of the parents (Coppelia 76).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

So a white rose is putting out a pink flowered cane?? WOW!

I just looked over at Help Me Find on their website of the parentage of

"White Meidiland'.

Parents are 'Temple Bells'' & 'Coppelia 76'.

Looks like you have a REVERSION back to one of the parents (Coppelia 76).

I looked at both of the above roses, and mine is not the same color, shape or size, good try though.  I am going to peg it today.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Irish HopeDSCF8499.JPG

That bush is gorgeous.  Your rose garden is even prettier than I remember the White House Rose Garden being.

Honored Contributor

Belinda's DreamDSCF8593.JPG

Honored Contributor

Diamond Eyes with a buttinsky Rudbeckia. Smiley HappyDSCF8649.JPG

Honored Contributor

White Lightnin'DSCF8698.JPGDSCF8699.JPG