Honored Contributor

RoseDSCF8281.JPG

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

'Gruss an Aachen' floribunda rose-- 2nd bloom from own root rose bush

Notice my zinc tag with Dymo label tape slightly hidden directly below the bloom.'Gruss An  Aachen rose .JPG

This is from a Tasmanian, NZ site:

'Gruss an Aachen'

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Another website, says that warmer weather brings out the peachy tones of this floribunda. It's been in the mid to high 80's this past week here.

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Another website, says that warmer weather brings out the peachy tones of this floribunda. It's been in the mid to high 80's this past week here.

@JustJazzmom wrote:

It's very hot here most of the year, the color of mine remains the same no matter the weather.  It is the shape of your rose that is so different also.  Mine is practically white, or off white as shown in my picture.  Oh well, as long as a rose is pretty and fragrant, what's in a name anyway. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom

Hi, I'm looking at your roses and have a question for you both.  Do you have Japanese Beetles eating your roses?  Here in southern Missouri they are eating everything in sight, especially roses.  They are even on our Pin Oaks.  we spray and spray and more come in.

Honored Contributor

Knock wood, lucymo, haven't seen any yet!! I'm wondering if the birds have eaten the grubs in the lawn while they wait their turns at the feeders.

I think I only got one or two last year on my roses. I picked them off. I used to have rose of sharon (a cultivar not the old fashioned purple ones) and I think they were a magnet for Jap beetles. Once I got rid of that plant, the number of Jap beetles dropped to hardly any.

I do not do any sprays for these insects. I have seen a lot of sawfly damage on my some roses, but I couldn't remove the larvae in time to stop the damage.

You could use a pherenome trap to capture the beetles but I suggest putting it as far away from your plants as possible-- maybe near your neighbor's property?

Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Knock wood, lucymo, haven't seen any yet!! I'm wondering if the birds have eaten the grubs in the lawn while they wait their turns at the feeders.

I think I only got one or two last year on my roses. I picked them off. I used to have rose of sharon (a cultivar not the old fashioned purple ones) and I think they were a magnet for Jap beetles. Once I got rid of that plant, the number of Jap beetles dropped to hardly any.

I do not do any sprays for these insects. I have seen a lot of sawfly damage on my some roses, but I couldn't remove the larvae in time to stop the damage.

You could use a pherenome trap to capture the beetles but I suggest putting it as far away from your plants as possible-- maybe near your neighbor's property?

I'm glad that you are being spared.  Here they eat farmers crops, the worst I've seen them.  We don't have Rose of Sharon but it is a favorite of the beetles.  Near our house we can use sevin dust and it kills them.  I think they have a life span of a couple of month so they should be gone soon.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@mousiegirl@JustJazzmom

Hi, I'm looking at your roses and have a question for you both.  Do you have Japanese Beetles eating your roses?  Here in southern Missouri they are eating everything in sight, especially roses.  They are even on our Pin Oaks.  we spray and spray and more come in.

I have never heard of this beetle here, lucymo, but we have snails, which when I find them, toss them into an area with no flowering plants.  I suspect the lizzards ,newts, and birds take care of most of the insects.  I am organic, and until this year when I have had to use an organic fungicide for some mildew, crazy weather here this year, I leave it to the critters to keep my garden and plants in good condition.

Honored Contributor

This is what they look like mousiegirl:

and the type of damage they do: they skeletonize the leaves.

on a soybean leaf:

Regular Contributor

jazzmom-

admiring all your photos-

what stands out to me, is that the leaves in your rose pics, seem to be so healthy looking- i am used to all sorts of holes, tan spots etc.

do you do anything special for that?

we are organic, but treat sometimes with soap sprays etc, in case of infestations that seem bad. i only have the 'easy care' roses like knockout and ground rose types, since i can't do much work anymore. we use 'rose tone', compost, mulch and water with soaker hose if needed- yet the leaves often look like heck. Woman Frustrated

i hope the minerva rose of sharon i just got won't be a japanese beetle magnet, now i know to keep a lookout. while i think they are pretty bugs with that metallic sheen, in the years with heavier beetle activity, seems they are taking over the property. i used to hand pick alot, and the traps work almost too well !

learned the hard way to put them far from our planted area, we have a few acres so that is possible. gotta empty the bags out often tho...ugh- but then i feel sorry for them.

we have attracted lots of birds, hope that will help over time as they feast on grubs and such.

i always read jazzmom's garden posts, lots of good info. i am in nj, so share same zone. Woman Happy