Honored Contributor

I did not do as much as I use to but it still looks good.  I have a straw wicker hanging basket and I planted The Wave in a deep Magenta, variegated sweet potato vine, Vince vine and lavender Impatiens.  Deep pink geraniums with little purple flowers in a long, horizontal pot, lavender Impatiens in a pot and a small hanging pot on the post with the variegated sweet potato vine.  The sweet potato vine is deep purple with med. green veining. Anyone else planting in pots?  Please share.  Cat Very HappyHeart

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: My Potted Garden for Summer

Oh yes we do every year. The guys planted some last weekend and DH isn't finished yet. I leave these to him as when we go to the stores to buy flowers he has plans & ideas already in his head. He strolls around, grabs stuff and away we go (hundreds of dollars later!!!). He's the landscaper literally so he knows just what he wants, what works where. I take care of it all ie watering through the season and ENJOY his creations @Katcat1

Esteemed Contributor

That sounds so pretty!

I always plant mini-eggplants in hanging baskets.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do one pot at the black wrought iron garden gate (which is entwined of white jasmine and Champney's pink cluster roses).  The large pot contains a 3-ft tall girl's silhouette holding a water bucket sat into what was an age concrete pot (the man next door backed his truck into it, broke it and replaced it with a cheap WalMart pot.  C'est la vie).  In this pot, I have placed blue balloon plants, vodka begonia, marigolds and chartreuse sweet potato vines.

I have an asymmetrical house, so at the front "porch" area, I have a black wrought iron bench for seating and above it, are four seasons plaques in wrought iron also. 

I have 3 very nice cobalt blue pots in staggered sizes.  House is Georgian clay brick, shutters are midnight steel blue (almost gray) with ivory trim work.  Front door is mahogany with side lights. Beside the bench on the left are 2 planters cobalt blue with the lightest colors of hostas, white vinca, hot pink vinca, varied colors of little petunias (cannot thinik of the proper name) and tiny marigolds and on the other side of the bench is the largest of the 3 pots.  Each pot has same plants, just varied-size pots and varied amounts of plants. 

On the contralateral side, by the door, I have a concrete dog statuary which I have finished in antiqued paints to give a weathered patina. 

I have other nice pots that I used when we did garden tours, but they are empty and tossed about, ornamentally, in the shrubbery and large rose plantings which form a natural fence to hide the wooden fence. 

In the rear garden, we have a battleship gray gardenshed inspired by an English guest cottage and I have daylilies planted near the entrance on either side (where I once placed pots of flowers). 

Nearer the veranda area is a 3-tiered fountain around which I have planted whisky and vodka begonias (fountain seriously needs a new pump).  

We have 5 hanging pots of potato vines.

Honored Contributor

You all have such good taste. I bet your planters are beautiful. My budget was set low this year because I haven't gardened in years and I want to see if I enjoy it. Just used the basics (petunias,  zinnias, geranium, lantana, verbena, dahlias, and cannas).

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1@AuntG@Nonametoday@x Hedge@PINKdogWOOD@, please post some photos.  I would love to see your creations!  LM

Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 ~ After having to take down a large evergreen in our backyard I found we now had this huge empty space.  We have planted a Cornelian Cherry Dogwood, a Butterflies Magnolia, and were happy to see all the hosta we planted came back!  In between all of this, I placed pink geraniums, white geraniums and the most gorgeous petunias I've seen in awhile ~ night sky petunias!  They are a dark blue with little white dots resembling stars!  One of the pots is on a small stand near the birdbath, the others near the new trees.

LOVE the night sky petunias!  The name isn't only pretty, the flowers are out of this world!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Julie928 How I'd love to get my hands on those petunias. I wonder if a big greenhouse would carry them.

Trusted Contributor

@AuntG ~ I found them at a grocery store, Mariano's.  I was so surprised to find them there, and only $13.00 for a big pot of them!  I don't know if you have a Mariano's near you ~ sometimes their "sister" stores are called by a different name.  Might be worth a look!  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Katcat1@AuntG@Nonametoday@x Hedge@PINKdogWOOD@, please post some photos.  I would love to see your creations!  LM

There was a time when I posted tons of pictures on GardenWeb, at a time when we were really into rose gardening and I hear 400-500 roses, but there were strange people who were not stalkers, but similar, and who had, with pictures, located me.  So I am inclined not to but I might do some little spot shots, just not a wide shot of the whole area.